CG trip yesterday-Fail

SDshirtman

• Members

I posted Saturday that I was wanting to buy a PRS se 22 on sale at GC.

So yesterday I decided to go pick it up. I called beforehand to see if they had the tobaccoburst in stock and to make sure the 10% off coupon I got sent in the mail would be valid. The coupon says only good on some PRS models. They said its fine. They also said they had the tobacco in stock but it was an extra $100 (even though its listed on the website at $449).

So I decided to drive down and check it out anyways as its only 10 min from my house. I got there and found the tobacco burst they had in stock. I sat down and played it and gave it a quick inspection. I brought it up to the counter and asked about the price dicrepency. We looked online at the price and the salesman agrees that the price should be 449. Right about then I noticed a small chunk of wood missing from the fretboard. I show it to him and ask him if he can discount it. He goes to talk to the GM. He comes back and says he cant with the 10% off coupon. So I'm kinda torn now as I've been thinking about this guitar all weekend and say fine. Ring it up and I'll fix it myself. The salesman says he's going to pull the case and will be right back and leaves toward the back of the store. He leaves me there for 20 minutes.

While he was gone I snagged a pickup switch knob off the other se to replace the one missing on the one I want to buy. I'm playing the guitar and inspecting it more closely while I wait. On top of the missing chink of wood in the fretboard I notice its got some more smaller chunks missing from the fretboard that look like someone ineptly filled the gaps with super glue. I also notice there is a small chip on the back tip of the headstock. So I start thinking no deal. I can repair these but I want a deeper discount. So the salesman returns and I show him the 4 blems on the guitar. He agrees with me and I tell him go talk to the GM again and tell him I want $50 knocked off the price. He disappears and returns 10 min later with a no and tells me his GM is kind of a dick.

Fine I say. I'll go home and order it online and get a mint piece that doesnt have all the blems. He then tells me I cant use the coupon online but I can order one in the store and have it shipped. Fine. So he's trying to ring it up but cant find the code to put in the 10% coupon I have. He calls his GM. He doesnt know. He calls another GM on his cell phone, then another. He's calling corporate and who the {censored} knows who. I go out and have a smoke and come back. Problem still not resolved. I left the store in disgust at that point.

Later that night I called the order in and explained what happened. They gave me the discount and are sending out a new SE with the stoptail today with free shipping. (both the store and CG told me PRS doesnt do the free shipping thing though I suspect BS).

65790_l.jpg

It should hopefully be here Friday just in time for my 40th Bday.

What a bunch of fools GC employs.

• Members

Which guitar center was it in So-Cal?

I've had horrible experiences with all of them there. They always play the 10% coupon game.

i go to the LaMesa one quite often because it is close to my house. i have never had a problem with them at that store.

• Members

I've had the best experiences with Northridge, they don't want to give you anything at first, then they cave in, big time. My friend got 30% of an Am. Strat. Sherman Oaks has been the worst for me. But I did see those PRS for $499 w/ 10% off at Sherman Oaks this Saturday. They had a few of them too.

HNGD!

• Members

:facepalm:Just got my notice that it shipped even though the guy on the phone said it would ship yesterday. So I guess I dont get until after my birthday.

It may have shipped from the warehouse when the guy said. Takes time for them to send out the notice.

• Members

I hope the one you get one that is straight. I've seen a lot of SE's (more than 5) especially lately with serious fretborad problems, not unlike the one you played. I the latest one I watched be unpacked. Back in the box it went to go back to PRS. Glad that one didn't hit the shelves. All dealers should inspect their merchandise before it hits the shelves.

Keep your fingers crossed.

• Members

OMG this is so typical at GC. First off GC, turn down the music! But the one that sticks in my head..

I go in and head for the counter as I know what I'm after. I notice a guy at the Boss pedal display playing blues on a strat and I was impressed by his chops. He was older looking, real unassuming, the kind of guy you wouldn't expect the blues to come out of.

A few minutes later when I was waiting for the clerks he comes over and asks both of them a question, to paraphrase:

"I don't really know anything about compressors, I read online that they can be good for blues. What exactly do they do to the signal and for your sound?"

Both clerks "Uh, I don't really know..."

:facepalm:

I took him aside and spent a few minutes talking to him and explaining what they do.. felt bad for him.

Two guys at the guitar gear counter don't know what a compressor is? Is that expecting too much? I've not been back since.

• Members

I posted Saturday that I was wanting to buy a PRS se 22 on sale at GC.

So yesterday I decided to go pick it up. I called beforehand to see if they had the tobaccoburst in stock and to make sure the 10% off coupon I got sent in the mail would be valid. The coupon says only good on some PRS models. They said its fine. They also said they had the tobacco in stock but it was an extra $100 (even though its listed on the website at $449).

So I decided to drive down and check it out anyways as its only 10 min from my house. I got there and found the tobacco burst they had in stock. I sat down and played it and gave it a quick inspection. I brought it up to the counter and asked about the price dicrepency. We looked online at the price and the salesman agrees that the price should be 449. Right about then I noticed a small chunk of wood missing from the fretboard. I show it to him and ask him if he can discount it. He goes to talk to the GM. He comes back and says he cant with the 10% off coupon. So I'm kinda torn now as I've been thinking about this guitar all weekend and say fine. Ring it up and I'll fix it myself. The salesman says he's going to pull the case and will be right back and leaves toward the back of the store. He leaves me there for 20 minutes.

While he was gone I snagged a pickup switch knob off the other se to replace the one missing on the one I want to buy. I'm playing the guitar and inspecting it more closely while I wait. On top of the missing chink of wood in the fretboard I notice its got some more smaller chunks missing from the fretboard that look like someone ineptly filled the gaps with super glue. I also notice there is a small chip on the back tip of the headstock. So I start thinking no deal. I can repair these but I want a deeper discount. So the salesman returns and I show him the 4 blems on the guitar. He agrees with me and I tell him go talk to the GM again and tell him I want $50 knocked off the price. He disappears and returns 10 min later with a no and tells me his GM is kind of a dick.

Fine I say. I'll go home and order it online and get a mint piece that doesnt have all the blems. He then tells me I cant use the coupon online but I can order one in the store and have it shipped. Fine. So he's trying to ring it up but cant find the code to put in the 10% coupon I have. He calls his GM. He doesnt know. He calls another GM on his cell phone, then another. He's calling corporate and who the {censored} knows who. I go out and have a smoke and come back. Problem still not resolved. I left the store in disgust at that point.

Later that night I called the order in and explained what happened. They gave me the discount and are sending out a new SE with the stoptail today with free shipping. (both the store and CG told me PRS doesnt do the free shipping thing though I suspect BS).

65790_l.jpg
It should hopefully be here Friday just in time for my 40th Bday.

What a bunch of fools GC employs.

If you ordered something through GC. You can plan on waiting months for it. They suck with ordering.

• Members

I go to the La Mesa GC occasionally to noodle while my girlfriend is across the street at Barnes & Noble. They're not too bad there. The guys in the recording area are all douchebags who think everyone should own Pro Tools and every M-Audio interface even if they're just screwing around in the bedroom, so I avoid that area like the plague and record with a computer mike still, but aside from that haha...

• Members

There are some good GC guys, but most of the time the 15 year old playing Metalica knows more then they do.

Plus the guy lied to you about using the coupon online. The always work online also. I hate how the website is always cheaper than in the store...

• Members

I spoke with some woman who sounded like she was 18 on the phone yesterday. I explained that it was supposed to ship Tuesday but didnt. I told her how much stuff I had purchased from GC and told her to check. She apologized and said she didnt have access to the store database but would give me a $30 store credit. So I ask her how I will receive it. Would you be sending out a gift card? She said no she would have the credit ready at my local store. "You just told me you dont have access to their computers" I said.

"Oh we do for credits" She tells me. Spelling BS I told her if I go into the store and ask them to look up my $30 store credit I'm going to get laughed at by some 22 year old kid with funny hair. She assures me it will work.

I ask her to just send a gift card and she tells me she cant.

Another wonderful chapter in GC customer service. I give a 01% chance I have an in store credit waiting for me.

PS. Harmony central is owned my the same entity as GC. Are you guys reading this??!!

Archived