Bruce Swedien please end the controversy!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It may have been more economical to do it that way. If you are going to the studio every day and have a big project, it is easier to leave things set up rather than setting up and tearing down every day. Sometimes it take hours to just to get a single microphone in the right place with the right gain and right eq.

Dan

I definitely see the logic in this, although I can't help but wonder if it'd be cheaper to set up shop in a large house instead. But who knows. We're discussing exorbitant budgets and (probably) fussy artists here.

• Members

To MJ in his heyday, but probably not Stevie.

Dude...do you realize how many albums Stevie sold in the sixties and especially the seventies?

Just prior to his recording Songs in the Key of Life, he had signed a $37 million deal with Motown...$37 million in 1975 is worth almost $150 million in 2009 money.

• Members

Dude...do you realize how many albums Stevie sold in the sixties and especially the seventies?

Just prior to his recording
Songs in the Key of Life
, he had signed a $37 million deal with Motown...$37 million in 1975 is worth almost $150 million in 2009 money.

But Dude; MJ was making 1989 money! A $37 million dollar deal doesn't mean you get a check for 37 million. Its over time and it includes options. I don't know for sure, but I would bet that Stevie never had an album budget near the 750 thousand MJ had for Thriller. And the budget for Bad was probably even higher. Stevie was with Motown after all.

I don't think that anyone other than the collected catalog of the Beatles made the kind of money that MJ did in his heyday. Certainly not Stevie.

• Members

But Dude; MJ was making 1989 money! A $37 million dollar deal doesn't mean you get a check for 37 million. Its over time and it includes options. I don't know for sure, but I would bet that Stevie never had an album budget near the 750 thousand MJ had for Thriller. And the budget for Bad was probably even higher. Stevie was with Motown after all.

I don't think that anyone other than the collected catalog of the Beatles made the kind of money that MJ did in his heyday. Certainly not Stevie.

That wasn't my point...I'm not attempting to quantify their total worth... the point is that Stevie could easily afford to block as much studio time as he wished, at that point.

Archived