Would like some help :)

robbo546hall

• Members

I have a line 6 Spider 3 Jam, and a Michael Kelly Patriot Custom, and i have a few questions which i would appreciate any help on, and don't laugh at my noobiness :(

1. My amp makes a really annoying sound occasionally when i play a note, i know this is not the greatest amp as it is a modelling amp, so the sound wont be amazing, but its like this really weird tremolo noise, and it is starting to get annoying, does anyone know what might cause this problem?

2. My G string goes out of string basically after every song, is this a case of the string needing replacing or what? My guitar has Grover Tuners, and they are perfect on all the other strings so im not sure if its them

3. If i wanted to replace my stock Rockfield pickups to some EMG's or Seymour duncans, to get a hotter sound on harmonics, and a more metal tone, would this affect the coil tap feature of my guitar? also how much would it cost to get new pickups replaced on my guitar, bearing in mind i have no knowledge of replacing pickups.

4. Finally, what good would an Overdrive/distortion pedal do? Ive been looking around but not really sure if it helps a whole deal

Any help would be great thanks

• Members

I would suggest not swapping pickups. An overdrive pedal would likely be another bad investment. Those modeling amps have a ton of overdrive on tap, and generally mask the differences that new pickups/pedals bring to say a traditional tube driven amp in comparison.

But, you could raise the bridge/neck pickups a little bit, and see what that does.

Also, replace your strings more often to keep things sounding snappy and in tune. (Also look into restringing a guitar properly if you haven't already to minimize string slippage)

I can't help much about the noise, but that is a great setup to learn your chops on. Nothing to feel bad about there. The spider jams are loaded full of great features. Hopefully someone can help you out on the unwanted noise.

• Members

Thanks for the help man, i think your right, the guitar and the amp are great, and i'll try fiddling with the pickup height etc.

main problem currently is the amps weird tremolo sound, the tone sounds very good, especially for rhythmn, but this is annoying especially when playing a solo, the only way i could get any help for this is possibly by someone who has the same amp and had the same problem, although thats unlikely

but thanks :)

• Members

Trem noise with amp? Could be that your not 'perfectlyl in tune and the warbling sound is due to one or more strings being a 'little' out. Not enough to make it noticeable on stacotto notes, or even 1/8 notes, but enough to warble a whole note +.

EMGs are Awesome!! You're probably going to want to replace elecs as well with a pup swap- But the 89s are set up for coil-split :thu:

The one string that keeps going out- How much string did you wrap around the post? Could be slipping, which isn't directly related to the quality of the tuner, but has to do with proper tension. Too many wraps = loose on the peg. Too few = too loose on the peg. :thu: Hope some of this helps man, Welcome to the forum :thu:

Archived