A Squier-51 question...

mymindsok

• Members

I am just getting back to my Squier 51 project, so I need to finish refinishing the boody and then reassemble the guitar but since I have two nice stockers, I want to upgrade/change the pick ups.

Can any of you suggest a pair of pickups (Single/HB.) that'll replace the stockers, that will meet this criteria?

1) I don't want to spend more than $200 max.

2) I want to use the guitar for rock, blues, and maybe some slide.

3) I want the PUs to be balanced tone and volume wise and a cetain "sweetness" would be a plus.

4) I'm into tube amps and don't need the hottest PUs in the world.

I just want to build a really rockin little guitar, without getting stupid.

Your help will be appreciated!

PS: Please don't reply to this request if you have no idea what youre talking about. I really need some help from some of you more experienced guys, cause I want to hit one out of the park the first time around and my funds are limited. :thu:

• Members

Well I got my '51 about a week ago and it was already modded up.

It's got a GFS Dream 180 humbucker in the bridge and a Lollar vintage strat pickup in the neck. I can't stress enough how much I like this combo. I have to admit I was one of the most biased people on this board when it came to GFS pickups. I had previously thought there was no way you could get a decent pickup for 30 bucks. That being said this dream 180 is one of the best humbuckers I have used.

If you want "sweetness" I whole heartedly recommend giving the Dream 180 a go.

• Members

A Tex Mex single works very well in the neck. It's a distinct tonal improvement over the stock single, which is not bad but a little clanky for my taste. I'm sure a texas special would be sweet also, but they are a little pricey.

A GFS dream 90 sound great in the bridge, gives you a nice fat crunch and a sweet, singing top end.

I like the Dream 180 also, actually have one in one of my 51's. It sounds very good but I don't think it is an improvement over the stock humbucker, which is unique sounding and very underrated.

A GFS Fat Paf also is a very good choice, very versatile with good tone and plenty hot. I'd stay away from the GFS crunchy Pat, it sounds screechy and thin in the 51.

Many people feel compelled to replace the stock bridge pickup in this guitar only to end up putting the original back in. As a matter of fact, I just did that yesterday in one of my 51's.

• Members

Every time I think about replacing the pickups in my '51, I am pleasantly surprised at how well the stock pickups suit this guitar.

No no no!! The stock Pick ups are crap!!! Change them out and while you are at it Re-paint the guitar. Maybe a nice baby poop brown color and then re-cut the head stock.!!!!:wave::thu:

• Members

No no no!! The stock Pick ups are crap!!! Change them out and while you are at it Re-paint the guitar. Maybe a nice baby poop brown color and then re-cut the head stock.!!!!
:wave::thu:

Ian,

Youre so fulla {censored}....

Sometimes I think that it's unfortunate that this is a public board

Archived