Can't get Bill Lawrence, can't fit EMG's, what other metal HBs?

seanm27

• Members

So I wanted to get a set of Bill Lawrence (and Becky) L500L and L500XL but after repeated phone calls and emails I gave up on them. My next pick were EMG 81/85 but I can't fit the battery in my guitar.

So can anyone recommend a good set of metal passive humbuckers with articulate highs and good tone when played clean?

• Members

So can anyone recommend a good set of metal passive humbuckers with articulate highs and good tone when played clean?

What type of guitar will you put them in? Matching the pickups to your guitar's body wood should be the first consideration. Getting a super hot bucker with a good clean tone may be troublesome. I'd recommend installing a coil split for any pickup you get to improve the cleans.

Here are a couple examples of good wood pickup combos:

Mahogany - Seymour Duncan Distortions

Alder/ash/maple - Duncan Custom Custom, Dimarzio Tone Zone, Breed

Basswood can kinda go either way....i'd go for a pickup with rolled off treble personally.

Edit: Dimarzio X2N-7 was nice in my alder 7-string guitar too, but forget about cleans with that thing (without splitting)....

• Members

So I wanted to get a set of Bill Lawrence (and Becky) L500L and L500XL but after repeated phone calls and emails I gave up on them. My next pick were EMG 81/85 but I can't fit the battery in my guitar.

They're in the process of moving over to Lace so they are pretty hard to get a hold of right now. Not sure about how long until they start filling orders again, but the next time I speak to Bill I'll be sure to ask.

Archived