I need help deciding...

grunge782

• Members

I mean you are trash talking more expensive guitars, but do you have any experience with playing comparing these more expensive guitars to other ones?

who's trash talking?my buddy owns an LTD viper 400,the lead guitarist in my other buddy's band has the ESP version...only difference is binding and bling.that's cool though,sorry for "trying" to help...i'm out...

Damon

• Members

who's trash talking?my buddy owns an LTD viper 400,the lead guitarist in my other buddy's band has the ESP version...only difference is binding and bling.that's cool though,sorry for "trying" to help...i'm out...

Damon

No offense, but you have to be honest about it. In your statements they were clearly biased against more expensive guitars so I wanted to know WHERE you were getting your opinions from. They very well could be valid, however saying "just binding and bling" sounds a bit adolescent to my ears. There are wood making, fret work differences between the two that I found after researching. However, for high gain I am inclined to believe selecting "pure grade" wood isn't going to make a very noticeable difference.

Even so, more "expensive" guitars that are Japanese and American made usually are great. However, one could make the argument that they are overpriced COMPARED to Asian made less expensive guitars. The burden of proof though is upon those who own BOTH and have actually done a test side by side. And I have heard the majority of opinions from those who own both that the ESP are "superior and worth the cash", not that the majority is always right though.

And sorry for the prejudice, but looking at your sig I didn't see anything exactly in the higher price ranges, so I figured your opinion was going to be a bit on the spending less side.

And I do appreciate your opinion, I don't want to hear only gear junkies justifying their payment equivalent of a 60 inch flat screen. I however want to hear evidence behind arguments.

And just for the record, I found a happy medium between the two sides. I went for the Schecter Classic C-1 for 500 and I am getting a Carvin 7 in conjunction with it for about 950.

• Members

No offense, but you have to be honest about it. In your statements they were clearly biased against more expensive guitars so I wanted to know WHERE you were getting your opinions from. They very well could be valid, however saying "just binding and bling" sounds a bit adolescent to my ears. There are wood making, fret work differences between the two that I found after researching. However, for high gain I am inclined to believe selecting "pure grade" wood isn't going to make a very noticeable difference.

Even so, more "expensive" guitars that are Japanese and American made usually are great. However, one could make the argument that they are overpriced COMPARED to Asian made less expensive guitars. The burden of proof though is upon those who own BOTH and have actually done a test side by side. And I have heard the majority of opinions from those who own both that the ESP are "superior and worth the cash", not that the majority is always right though.

And sorry for the prejudice, but looking at your sig I didn't see anything exactly in the higher price ranges, so I figured your opinion was going to be a bit on the spending less side.

And I do appreciate your opinion, I don't want to hear only gear junkies justifying their payment equivalent of a 60 inch flat screen. I however want to hear evidence behind arguments.

And just for the record, I found a happy medium between the two sides. I went for the Schecter Classic C-1 for 500 and I am getting a Carvin 7 in conjunction with it for about 950.

no offense taken sir.as far as my gear goes,no i don't have anything high end.but,i've heard my westbury through a dsl 100 ab'ed with my buddy's gibson v and him playing both(he's way better than me) and my westbury will hang all day...but you're right,i have never owned a high priced instrument,so i don't know first hand.i just can't justify spending as much on a guitar as i did on my vehicle...all of my axes are imports,but i wouldn't be a bit ashamed to play out with any of them...

Damon

• Members

Yeah I was looking at the SLS3, seems great but I had a friend who had a soloist and the hardware problems killed him. He bought it for around like 1000 had to sell it for a mere 400.

Curious about the problems... Usually hardtails are pretty problem free, unless you are talking electronics or something.

Again though, a used USA soloist is in your price range.

• Members

Curious about the problems... Usually hardtails are pretty problem free, unless you are talking electronics or something.

Again though, a used USA soloist is in your price range.

Thats what I thought, but he was having horrible issues with the bridge and fret buzz. My guess is it was a dud, but I've already bought what I wanted now haha. I think Carvins are an amazing deal and its awesome that you can customize it.

Archived