Gibson faded V worth it?

fistacuffs

• Members

So, what's the price after the hudred dollar drop?

The REAL question is this.

As for your question, I HATE Fadeds. I also own two :facepalm:

Fadeds to me were Gibsons executed 8/10ths of the way then dumped in gig bags. Then I bought one as a refinish project. My first one was the typical ugly orange color. My second is perfect in color and grain pattern.

The proof is in the playing, however. The necks of the black nitros are terrible to me. the finish feels like a tacky lollipo in my hands, like 1000 people played it and nobody wiped it down. The finish with the fadeds makes for an incredibly fast neck.

So I dislike them for the wrong or less-important reasons, but I do respect them for the right ones. If the money is right, I would snap it up in a heartbeat. Amazing upper fret access, ridiculously light, and very fast neck.

• Members

The REAL question is this.

As for your question, I HATE Fadeds. I also own two
:facepalm:

Fadeds to me were Gibsons
executed 8/10ths of the way then dumped in gig bags.
Then I bought one as a refinish project. My first one was the typical ugly orange color. My second is perfect in color and grain pattern.

The proof is in the playing, however. The necks of the black nitros are terrible to me. the finish feels like a tacky lollipo in my hands, like 1000 people played it and nobody wiped it down. The finish with the fadeds makes for an incredibly fast neck.

So I dislike them for the wrong or less-important reasons, but I do respect them for the right ones. If the money is right, I would snap it up in a heartbeat. Amazing upper fret access, ridiculously light, and very fast neck.

Agreed. I A/B'd a Standard V (selling for ~$1000+) and a Faded V (selling for ~$650) a couple years ago and the difference was glaring. I still think the best Gibson V I've ever played was a ~'90 model that I couldn't afford new at the time since I was a kid, but the top line Vs are still very nice. I owned a '85 V for years and it was a tone monster, although the necks were like baseball bats back then, a bit too much, especially considering I was into shred at the time.

I wouldn't bother with a Faded. The issues it has (overal lack of quality) aren't easily fixed. It's not like a pickup swap would transform it.

• Members

I like the faded series .... And not just for the price! Sure, the finish is often very "meh" to look at, but to me it feels great, and the sound is usually right too. There's a guy with a faded explorer that has lessons at the same place I do and that axe is all kinds of win! :love:

Plus as mentioned, if you want to do a refinish project why strip down a beauty of guitar? :thu:

• Members

Great guitars as long as you like the faded finish. The look, and especially the feel, seems to be a love it or hate it kinda thing with people. Personally, I like them fine. They're plentiful and pretty inexpensive on the used market though...I wouldn't buy one new since I can get a great one used for ~$400.

• Members

I have a Faded V, and I like it just fine. Yes, it's a bizarre, ugly reddish color and the wood grain is BORING to look at, but it plays like a house afire and has all that midrange Flying V scream you could want. Ergonomically, the neck is about as slender as I can deal with (my preference is for chunky necks), the fret access is unbeatable, it balances well, it's light, stays in tune well, and the feel of the faded finish on a neck beats the hell out of the feel of a full-nitro finish.

Archived