Any one owns one of these? (Douglas Shadow)

Vespertine

• Members

What's the word of those douglas? Are they worth modding or should I look elsewhere.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-Guitar-New-Douglas-Shadow-2TS_W0QQitemZ220477724535QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item33557f1777&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262#ht_5526wt_887

Single cutaway arch top body made from solid Alder

Bolt on Maple neck with an adjustable truss rod

Bound Rosewood fretboard with 22 jumbo (2.7mm) frets and trapezoidal inlays

Actual Weight is only 8lbs. Bridge studs are 3" apart. Width of the neck at the nut: 1 5/8"; at the 22st fret: 2 3/16" Overall length, including the strap button: 40"; Scale length: 24.75"

Width at the widest point: 13". Bridge studs are 3" apart

shadow2ts5.jpg

shadow2ts3.jpg

shadow2ts4.jpg

• Members

While I don't have any experience with that particular model, I do own 2 Douglas guitars and gave a third to my nephew. They're decent starter/ beater guitars out of the box and can be competent gigging instruments with minimal $$$ invested.

My Douglas Spad needed a lot of fiddling with the truss rod to get the neck to my liking, as well as a quick fret level, new pickups (SD/ Gibson), & a new bridge. After all is said & done, I might have $200 invested in this thing (I already had the pickups lying around):

2758720416_abc848fb43.jpg

The Halo (Explorer) needed A LOT more fretwork, but has better overall sustain. I also upgraded the pickups with a set that I took out of my BC Rich Masterpiece Mockingbird, added some speed knobs, & stained the fretboard for a more uniform look:

3793293579_2344cd63ab.jpg

My nephew's SIV (RR copy) required the least attention. It's neck was near dead-straight & it had virtually no fret buzz. All that I did was move the strap pin to one of the neck plate screws in order to alleviate some neck dive. Other than that, it's perfect for him:

3740515669_33346ced57.jpg

• Members

I don't have any of the Shadows, but I do have some other Douglas guitars, and I love them all :thu:

I have a bass too that matches the neck through, but I don't have any pics of it yet..

SDC12092.jpg' alt='>'>

SDC12106.jpg' alt='>'>

SDC11932.jpg' alt='>'>

SDC11874.jpg' alt='>'>

100_3328.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

Cool, thanks for the input guys. I decided to pull the trigger on that one to see what's it like. I like specs listed, so hopefully it'll turn out to be a nice modding platform. I'm probably going to change the pups to SD or maybe something from GFS, not sure yet, but we'll see. :thu:

I wonder why these are not as popular as the strats. I do understand that they're nothing like a real les paul, given the fact that they used alder instead of mahogany and it's a bolt on "among other things", but that doesn't mean it'd make for a bad platform. :confused:

• Members

I was wondering what my Douglas would look like with zebra pickups.:thu:

I have the WRL 590 Floyd. Love it death.

039.jpg

I'm never getting rid of it. I put Graphtech String Savers on it. I want to put a set of GuitarHeads Zebra buckers, and a set of smoked chrome pickup rings.

Archived