John Mayer Strat vs Eric Clapton Strat

theaxeripper

• Members

Clapton played an "off the shelf" Clapton for quite a while that his daughters and wife bought him as a gift. It even had the Fender strings sticker on the back still. So don't think he always plays some ultra custom, one-of-a-kind instrument made just for him. I mean, he does and he has...but not always.

• Members

Clapton played an "off the shelf" Clapton for quite a while that his daughters and wife bought him as a gift. It even had the Fender strings sticker on the back still. So don't think he always plays some ultra custom, one-of-a-kind instrument made just for him. I mean, he does and he has...but not always.

And this christmascaster was even a mexican standard one. Perfect example of "Tone is in the fingers"

In action:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Actually that's one of his masterbuilts,on 3:45,you can see that it has 22 frets,and during the song a Custom shop logo on the back,and of course that specific sound like all other strats that he uses...but yeah one of his favorite guitars is a white mexican made strat,with the gold hardware that he got

for Christmas,as a present from his wife and daughters.

• Members

Id get a 57RI...I thought the EC Strat had a soft V? Is his a 10/57 neck? If you want that treble boost you can always add one or just use a pedal. IM not a fan of push-buttons on guitars.

The Fender site spec's the Clapton as a "soft" V....(from site)

Neck 1-Piece Maple, Soft

• Members

I just tried the Mayer strat today. Very smooth and sweet cleans. However I did not really like the neck, it was just as thin as an American Standard neck and similar profile. I prefer bigger necks.

I've owned both, and the Mayer Strats neck is definitely larger than American Standard neck, and I'm a fairly large guy too ( 6'3, 250).

For the guy who said that the Artist series doesn't offer in improvements over the American Standard, I'm calling BS. The features on some of the Artist guitars are completely different than the AS. At the time I bought my Mayer it was only about $500 more than the Standard. I got a beefier neck, taller 6105 frets, vintage tuners, Unique pickups, and a color combo and case that was limited to 500 pieces. The pickups alone go for about $500 on Ebay ( check if you don't believe me), so I think I got my money's worth.

I don't know what it was about the American Standard I had, but it just sounded so flat to me. I sold it and bought a CP 60s which was a much better guitar. I wish I hadn't have gave into my gas and traded it for a Valve junior though :facepalm:

• Members

Id like to try one of these Mayer Strats to see what the neck is like. I hear its pretty huge. I normally don't like C necks but Ive only had a thinner 60s style (62 Jag RI) I like big honkin necks.

A long time ago I tried out the Jeff Beck Strat againts the EC Strat and I liked the Beck strat better. But this was like in 1988 lol... John Mayer was probably in diapers then...I preffered the sound of the JB but I liked the EC neck better.(Now I like big necks back then I didn't know any better) I felt the button on the EC was cheap and out of place on a Strat even back then.

A few years later I ended up with a 57RI.

• Members

Actually that's one of his masterbuilts,on 3:45,you can see that it has 22 frets,and during the song a Custom shop logo on the back,and of course that specific sound like all other strats that he uses...but yeah one of his favorite guitars is a white mexican made strat,with the gold hardware that he got

for Christmas,as a present from his wife and daughters.

Sorry to burst your bubble. Tone is really in the fingers. Trust me. This is no custom shop guitar. Just pure talent and skill.

http://www.whereseric.com/faq/guitars-amps-and-related-equipment/chrismascaster-aka-christmas-stratocaster

:thu:

• Members

Sorry to burst your bubble. Tone
is really
in the fingers. Trust me. This is no custom shop guitar. Just pure talent and skill.

http://www.whereseric.com/faq/guitars-amps-and-related-equipment/chrismascaster-aka-christmas-stratocaster

:thu:

Hmmm...my mistake.I was fooled by that neck.Guess he just changed the neck on that guitar,cos it has 22 frets(MIMs have 21),and a custom shop logo on the back of the headstock.

• Members

Hmmm...my mistake.I was fooled by that neck.Guess he just changed the neck on that guitar,cos it has 22 frets(MIMs have 21),and a custom shop logo on the back of the headstock.

Yeah I wondered myself when i saw it. MIM 22 frets? Gold pickguard?

But yeah its a mexican completely stock strat :)

• Members

Id like to try one of these Mayer Strats to see what the neck is like. I hear its pretty huge. I normally don't like C necks but Ive only had a thinner 60s style (62 Jag RI) I like big honkin necks.

A long time ago I tried out the Jeff Beck Strat againts the EC Strat and I liked the Beck strat better. But this was like in 1988 lol... John Mayer was probably in diapers then...I preffered the sound of the JB but I liked the EC neck better.(Now I like big necks back then I didn't know any better) I felt the button on the EC was cheap and out of place on a Strat even back then.

A few years later I ended up with a 57RI.

Actually he was 11 :thu: . The Mayer neck is probably one of my favorite features of the guitar. I'd say its a hair bit smaller than the SRV and 62 hotrod, which both have really big strat necks. The mayer neck is up there with them. I just put mine down. I love it

• Members

The Clapton strat neck kills. My favourite neck by a long shot. Personally, I would like the V to be much harder.

I've played the Clapton acoustic, and its V-neck is seriously extreme... But I find it great!

The Clapton strat is a wonderful guitar. I'd play it every day if I didn't have my Gilmour strat ha ha :D

Archived