Guess What Came In The Mail Today!!!

mymindsok

• Members

OK Kids!

I promised you some photos of the insides of the Rock Block and despite a couple days worth of Real Life getting in the way, here they are. Please note: This inside view was actually suggested by the designer after I asked what was in the box, so don't think I'm letting any cats out of the bag! First some shots of the outside....

The case is beautifully powder coated and my digital scale says that it weighs slightly over 2LB.

HENDRIX021.jpg

The right side showing the input:

HENDRIX011-1.jpg

The left side has the output that you plug into when using the amp as a pedal:

HENDRIX017.jpg

The back end with it's 12VDC input and speaker output sockets:

HENDRIX012.jpg

Just as with most quality pedals, the bottom plate is held on with four screws. When you remove em, you find this!

HENDRIX006.jpg

I'm not an electronics expert, but thats about as clean an installation as I've ever seen. The wiring is perfect and as tidy as the space shuttle's. I'm also pleased to see that all of the plugs and switches are first class. The knobs have that silky-smooth feel when you turn em, the switches work nicely and the power switch, when pushed, returns a nice heavy "thunk".

I've only had a few minutes to play with this, so I'll report on that later but I can tell you now, that this thing has real tube tone and enough gain to satisify 90% of us.

Plus... It's so cute!!! :love:
HENDRIX014.jpg

PS: I don't want anyone to think that I'm shilling for the manufacturer of these amps. I noticed an ad and the review for the Rock Block in this months Vintage Guitar Magazine. Then I checked out the Suprise Sound Lab web site, which directed me to the YouTube clips. After hearing the clips, I was so enthralled that I immedietly ordered a Rock Block for myself. It was only after placing my order that I thought to call the designer and have a chat.

All that I can say at this point is that I'm more than impressed with the Rock Block and cant wait to get together with a couple of the local hotshots, to really wring this thing out! I had been saving my $$$ with the idea of buying a vintage Fender Vibro Champ but I guess that thats gonna have to wait for a while!

I don't understand the technology for making clips but I'll try to work something out and post them shortly.

• Members
How is this different than the Gilmore Jr? I've been thinking of picking up a Gilmore kit for a while.

Oops! Sorry to miss answering your question!

The 8 Watt Ardmore and 1/2 Watt Gilmore Jr amp Kits were designed by Gerhart Amplification tone wizard, Gary Gerhart and you can check em out at:http://www.guytronix.com/

Neither kit is particularly difficult to assemble but the components are first class and include, Mercury Magnetics Transformers. The chassis arrives set up and the kit includes a 29 page instruction book that not only gets you through building the amp but will also aquaint the novice with the rudiments of electronics and of course, amp building. The G.Jr is also kool because it's very mod friendly. It can be run kinda "Brown sound", modded to have a Voxy vibe or finally into a little Marshall clone. It can also be modded to function as tube overdrive, if thats your thing... Lotsa fun!

The other thing thats neat about the Gilmore kits is that Rich Guy, the kit's manufacturer, is amazingly supportive of his customers and will go out of his way to answer questions or help with problems. You can find reviews right here at HGC.

The Gilmore kits have been around for a while now and theyre solid performers, if what youre looking for is a botique quality super-low watt amp. Just remember.... 1/2 watt is still pretty loud! :rolleyes:

I love mine!

FENDER51NO-3047_001-1.jpg

• Members

^^Screw it, the Surprise has gorgeous cleans. Zvex has zero cleans.

Maybe I can visit the factory. Anyone know where in Colorado it is?

Some dude's basement, no doubt.

When I put one in my shopping cart and added my zip, shipping was $13 and tax was $30. Not used to the tax thing (7.5%).

• Members
Thank you for supporting the Colorado economy! I'm getting one very soon, but I've also been looking at the ZVex:

Nanoinhand.jpg

The Surprise unit looks quite a bit more substantial--better built, but I want to travel with it in my suitcase. Love the clips!

I looked at the ZVex for at least a year but just couldnt bring myself to pull the trigger. It's kind of a one-trick-pony that, unfortunately, dosn't sound nearly as good as the RB. Theres just too much fizz for me, though you might like it just fine. OTOH, the Rock Block has real nice cleans, a master volume, 3 levels of boost, 3 levels of bass, no fan, etc. (jeeze, I just hate that fan sticking out the side of the Nano. It looks like an after thought and probably was. )

Before you spend your $$$, you owe it to yourself to audition both. Heck, the ZVex is tiny and very kool but the Rock Block will still fit into a lunch box and leave enough room for your lunch! ;)

Different horses for different courses!:thu:

• Members
I noticed the company's address was right here in my hometown. I never knew this company existed - cool.

I just mapquested the address. It is a residential area. i bet the company is being run right out of the owner's home.

I would love to try one out. Maybe I should just pop over and knock on the door? lol

Ok....

I had a recent email exchange with Kim and he has requested that If you want to contact him , please go to the web site and send him an email. All of my emails have been answered within a few minutes, to a few hours and the designer is a pretty kool guy, ready to answer questions or just chew the fat. Right now he has time for that but later on that might change.

As far as dropping by his home to do a play-through goes, I wouldnt even ask. I don't know whether hes even building these things there but take my word for it. The RB is the real thing, so pay for it, play it and I theres a 99% chance that you'll keep it! If not, simply return it undamaged and you'll get a quick refund, no questions asked.

This is one of the many micro-businesses that serve our community and theyre quite busy working to keep up with the 'instant demand' that was created by the recent advertisments and reviews. As I understand it, no one is having to wait for delivery right now but who knows.... That could happen but even if it did, the Rock Block is clearly worth the wait.

Anyway, I'm enjoying my RB and and I intend to hold on to it.

I'll be posting more of my observations later today. :wave:

Archived