Another Humbucker-Pup recommendation thread

Vespertine

• Members

I'm looking to buy a pup set for a guitar I have coming in, and was wondering if anyone here had tried the GFS vintage 59's or Any of the Stewmac's Golden Age pickup series. I'd like to keep it relatively cheap, but I'd like to get something nice. The guitar's a les paul copy made of alder. I'd like to get a nice bluesy sound with good definition. something like "Since I've been loving you by led zep"

any suggestions?

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Thanks!

• Members

I've never had any of GFS's 59s, but I've had few guitars with Duncan 59s and I've always liked them, but never loved them. Having said that, I have no doubt that either the 59s or the Alnico IIs would get you reasonably close to that tone through a good amp. I think the key to some of those tones is the exact right amount of gain, then tweaking the knobs on the guitar to take away some of the brightness.

I do have a set of the GFS Alnico IIs and again, I like them a lot, but I don't love them. I'd say they are a considerable step down from Gibson 57 Classics or Burstbuckers. I used to have a Duncan Alnico II a long time ago in the neck position which I quite liked, but I've never directly compared the Duncan Alnico II to the GFS Alnico II.

Having said all that, I think you'll like either the 59 set or the Alnico II set if that bluesy, 'slight breakup' is the tone you are after. I wouldn't rule out used pickups either... Duncan Alnico IIs, Duncan 59s, Dimarzio Virtual PAFs or Anniversary PAFs.

If the pots and caps look cheesy, I'd replace them too while I was in there.

What kind of amp are you running?

• Members

I have a GFS '59 in the bridge of my Reverend. It's a nice pickup. Like cratz, I like it, but I don't love it. I think it would be much better in the neck position. It's a bit too "honky" in the bridge for my liking. It's a step up from the stock pickups, and I'd say that the stock Reverend pickups are a step up from the stock pickups that come in most guitars (higher end and name brand stuff aside).

Not world beaters, but definitely worth the price of admission.

Archived