Self Install?

JaredVR

• Members

That sounds tempting...The bridge I bought just fits over my old one, only difference is 3 saddles instead of 6. In that case, all I have to do is unscrew the old one, and screw in the new one...right?

I'm a big fan of rubbing wood screws on a bar of soap to reduce the chance of cracking. Probably more of an old woodworker's tale than necessary, but whatever floats your boat.

Just go slow is my advice if you're nervous. You're not going to do any harm whatsover to the guitar installing the bridge and adjusting the saddles. Take it easy, if you get frustrated give it a couple hours.

When reinstalling strings - again, likely not required, but I work outside in to reduce the offset moment on the neck, and don't crank up to tension all at once. EG, I install the 3rd string, then 4th, then 2nd, then 5th, then 1st, then 6th. Due to the ability of wood to absorb energy if you don't do this it isn't a big deal but it helps me sleep at night.

Have fun, I like working on my guitars almost more than I like playing them.

• Members

You will have to take the pickup out of the bridge and put it into the new one.

Be carefull you don't cut the wires in the pickup on the bridge plate when you are getting the pickup screws in place. I did that to one pickup.

Archived