fender telecaster japan without serial number?

vixo

• Members

happened with the see through blue CIJ Fender double bound I used to have. Bought it used of course and somebody had used the A number from the bridge on the warranty card but thats not a serial number...the guitar did not have one anywhere, so I have seen that. You could look on the neck butt for a date. I also have a custom edition strat with the date written on masking tape stuck under the pickguard.

• Members

SG...I got your mail ... as far as your tele is concerned, I don`t know what it is. I have seen FJs with the 50th anniversary sticker from more than one year...members on line have mentioned 1995, `96 and `97 models with that sticker, but you should have asked the guy who sold you the guitar for information on it, hard to say without seeing the guitar.

In my case...I used the past tense in my post...I don`t have the guitar anymore, sold it. It was just a production model TL62-70 double bound tele with a 3 piece body finished in a blue that was transparent blue. It had a nice neck but was not a special model in any way...if I`m not mistaken all FJs came with the 50th anniversary sticker at the time. Every order made FJ I`ve ever seen is marked that way in the neck pocket, if you need to find out what you have you must look there if the guitar didn`t come with any tags.

• Members

i removed the neck:

there are a red "G" and "TLC - 62B" on the neck.

and three dates on the neck pocket, but only one is clear: 19 dic. 1998.

after this newness, i found this in another forum (the third pic below is a neck with writing like mine):

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/82152-more-info-telecaster-pls-help.html

angry tele, i think is ash because is so heavy. but i have to compare with the pictures here: http://www.mijguitar.com/Templates/Guitar%20Body%20Woods.htm

• Members

It`s hard to tell from those tiny pictures. In Japan I`ve seen teles made of basswood, ash, alder and sen. Like I said someone used the A number from the bridge on the warrany card from the double bound I had but that number can not be used to date a guitar, anyways he found 1998 in the pocket. Usually the 62 B means it`s a double bound but yours doesn`t look like it is...they did make a recent white one with black binding. Possible the neck comes from another guitar. I`ve never seen Fender Japan call any model a reissue, thats something F/USA does, so don`t be surprised if a Japanese Fender doesn`t match up with an American made model, plus shops can and do order them to any specs they want.

• Members

my tele weight: 8,4 lbs.

i checked the wood with the pictures: it is one of the two ash, probaly the light.

anyway, i discovered that it's not a fake, this is the important thing.

i bought it used some years ago in a shop. the seller told me is owned by a guy with many telecaster, fond of this model.

• Members

sounds genuine to me from the way you describe the markings in the pocket...all things I`ve seen before. Though yours may be 1 piece, I wouldn`t bet money on it, it`s probably 2 and possibly 3 well matched pieces...very few if any after the JVs were 1 piece, and if they were they`d have been very expensive. But that doesn`t reall matter except for bragging rights...if you like it and it sounds good, thats what matters.

• Members

sounds genuine to me from the way you describe the markings in the pocket...all things I`ve seen before. Though yours may be 1 piece, I wouldn`t bet money on it, it`s probably 2 and possibly 3 well matched pieces...very few if any after the JVs were 1 piece, and if they were they`d have been very expensive. But that doesn`t reall matter except for bragging rights...if you like it and it sounds good, thats what matters.

my cij tele is 1 piece ash. They aren't as rare as people think. I saw one a few months ago for sale, plus mine thats 2 right there...but I think the OP was saying its either one type or the other type of ash, you wouldn't be able to tell how many pieces without stripping it usually

• Members

do you mean 2 or 3 different wood pieces in the same body?

from the link's pictures i posted before i'm pretty sure that the wood in my tele's neck pocket is the light ash.

• Members

yes I mean 2 or 3 pieces glued together side by side, not on top of each other which is what we call pancake...also heard them called sandwich bodies. In my Fender Japan catalogs going back several years there are no models listed as 1 piece bodies. It is true Fender Japan has and still does make shop orders for the chains stores in Japan and every one of those I own and have seen are marked that way in the neck pocket. The only FJs listed as two pieces in current catalogs are the top of the line Dimarzio series, if a production model is not listed as two pieces, then it is made from more...thats been my experience in Japan. I have two 52-95 JV teles, one is a 1 piece the other is two center joined pieces...they were top end models at the time. I can`t speak for every Fender japan out there, I haven`t seen them all. Of all the FJs I own ... that one JV is the only single piece body I have, and I`ve seen many many FJs since I got here 16 years ago...never saw a one piece body on a production models...are they out there...possibly, but in my opinion they are excessively rare. None of my custom editions is 1 piece nor is my ExTrad...and frankly I don`t think it makes that much of a difference though it seems to be real important to some people.

• Members

I disagree with the stripping thing...sometimes it`s very easy to tell when the finish is translucent or from the neck pocket. I can`t tell from your pics, they are too small.

my telly is butterscotch blonde, so i can see the veins of the wood a little bit. i will try to look.

if the body is glued side by side, how is possible to see the pieces from the neck pocket, as you said?

ot: angry tele, how did you post that big photos? when i posted mine, i can't did better job than that little pictures (jpeg 100 kb limit)...

• Members

my telly is butterscotch blonde, so i can see the veins of the wood a little bit. i will try to look.

if the body is glued side by side, how is possible to see the pieces from the neck pocket, as you said?

ot: angry tele, how did you post that big photos? when i posted mine, i can't did better job than that little pictures (jpeg 100 kb limit)...

yeah I agree you can't tell until you strip it. You can tell its not 1 piece if a seem is apparent. I thought my Tele was 1 piece but all the so-called experts laughed and said there's no way. I wasn't 100% sure because the finish could have been hiding a good seem but turns out it wasn't. People still don't believe its 1 piece but oh well it doesn't make a difference anyway just kind of cool.

Those pics are straight from my camera to photobucket to here. Somewhere along the line you must of resized your pics.

Archived