Making a glossy finish more satin - like?

nick fury

• Members

Hi,

I have an Ibanez Artcore AF85 that has an uber-gloss finish, and I'd like dull it down a bit, to give it more of a satin look, and feel.

I'd appreciate any advice. I found some info on buffing up a finish using sand paper, I suppose it would be a similar process, except I'd stop before giving it a full gloss again.

• Members

I used steel wool on the back of the neck of my poly-finished Epi and was really pleased w/ the results. Most techs recommend ScotchBrite though because the little pieces of metal that steel wool sheds can be collected by the magnets in your pickups and they're a pain in the ass to get off.

Sandpaper will work too if you have a fine enough grade but it will shed little pieces abrasive that can stick to your guitar and keep scratching after you've stopped sanding.

• Members

Micro Mesh pads. They come in a set you can get at woodworking stores. Most of them are so fine you could rub in on your hand for days and probably not know you did it. If you use the right one(s), you'll have no scratches to get rid of after you get it where you want it.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm curious about micro mesh - any suggestion as to approximate grades I should try?

Does scotchbrite leave any visible scratches, or does it leave an even, smooth surface?

xOn a thick poly like the artcores have it will likely just dull it up, I lighten up on the presure when I want smoother and aply more presure to remove more material.

• Members

I have a strat I was going to refinish, so I let Doc Morbius scuff up the back of it with a Scotch Pad... I think he used the red one. From looking at it, it definitely left visible scratches. I have some green pads and I was going to try it on an Epi LP with a wine red finish, but I've sort of grown to like the finish.

Did you see the thread on mylespaul.com? That guy got results that looked absolutely BEAUTIFUL in pics. Have a search over there... I'd search for 'Scotch Pad' or refinish in the title.

It started with a full gloss finish, here's the end result:

Episcour21hw0.jpg

Archived