CNC test body

ihavenofish

• Members

so, im helping out someone set up their large cnc mill, and in exchange i get to use it for some of my own stuff.

in his shop there was a piece of canadian hard ash, very high visual quality and a creamy white colour. its some sort of "botched" furniture part. being canadian ash, its pretty damned heavy and hard. i can cut it up and make a 4 piece body blank as a test run. its a somewhat small piece of wood, so it will have to be a "short" body. the neck will be quartered hard maple, which is a little pinkish compared to the ash as far as colour.

things that qualify might be:

- SG

- LP junior double cut or PRS mira

- melody maker double cut

- Telecaster

i could do set neck or neck through. bolt neck might work depending on how short the body is. i can do a carved top, contrours, and any type of cavities and pickup routes.

the last hitch is the neck angle will need to be "flat" to the top, since this test wont have any special jigs to set an angle on the body or matching neck.

any thoughts on which design to try or suggestions i havent listed? (pictures are good)

• Members

I'd start with an RG style guitar.

so, im helping out someone set up their large cnc mill, and in exchange i get to use it for some of my own stuff.

in his shop there was a piece of canadian hard ash, very high visual quality and a creamy white colour. its some sort of "botched" furniture part. being canadian ash, its pretty damned heavy and hard. i can cut it up and make a 4 piece body blank as a test run. its a somewhat small piece of wood, so it will have to be a "short" body. the neck will be quartered hard maple, which is a little pinkish compared to the ash as far as colour.

things that qualify might be:

- SG

- LP junior double cut or PRS mira

- melody maker double cut

- Telecaster

i could do set neck or neck through. bolt neck might work depending on how short the body is. i can do a carved top, contrours, and any type of cavities and pickup routes.

the last hitch is the neck angle will need to be "flat" to the top, since this test wont have any special jigs to set an angle on the body or matching neck.

any thoughts on which design to try or suggestions i havent listed? (pictures are good)

• Members

Do a neck-through LP Jr. Double Cut. Maybe w/ carved top?

neck through plus carved top probably wont work here because of a multi stage setup (cut wings, neck, glue, then carve). could be done, but this is a one day job im aiming for, just cut, then bring home to finish.

24" scale mira with a flat neck angle, humbucker cavities, rear control route and flat neck angle. that seems to be where my head is at.

• Members

just to give you an idea of the weight you'll be dealing with, my northern ash tele body is a hefty 6 lbs. 9 oz. - my tele build will likely come in at an LP weight (which I like). A smaller body than a tele might suit you better.

I vote Ric cresting wave (always wanted to see someone do a Ric clone)

• Members

just to give you an idea of the weight you'll be dealing with, my northern ash tele body is a hefty 6 lbs. 9 oz. - my tele build will likely come in at an LP weight (which I like). A smaller body than a tele might suit you better.

I vote Ric cresting wave (always wanted to see someone do a Ric clone)

ric i like, but being so thin, i have different wood better suited for that. it would be a waste to mill the ash down half an inch. i have a ric-ish design i will make eventually. neck through 1.25" thick maple wings with walnut book matches top and back.

as for the body weight, yeah, it will be a tank. the mira is a bit smaller than the tele, and the top contour and control cavity will mill away some weight, but indeed, 9-10lbs for the guitar is an easy guess.

• Members

prs-mira-cherry.jpg

angle isnt 0, but i think it will be fine if i make it like that. just need to "raise" the fretboard above the body, pretty much like my duosonic.

i think id give it a recessed tunomatic with string through holes. sound logical?

i just realized its 24 frets, mine will be 22, so ill have to have a gap between the fretboard and pickup - or i can push the neck into the body more.

hmm

• Members

Ive used a CNC machine before to cut a guitar. It was very cool to design it. I used Rhino3d, and the cnc program was Shopbot.

about raising the fretboard, the Rick. Sierra guitars have a highly raised fretboard, those guitars are awesome. I like to do a .25'' fretboard with a bloodwood accent strip underneath, adds a cool element to look of the neck, youre just a little limited to how thin you can make the neck, depending on if you put the truss rod underneath the elevated board or if you route right into that.

Heres the body i did, it was a two piece walnut, cut like a JS strat. turned out pretty sweet, the kahler tremolo route was right in the intonation spot it shoulda been in.

109_0026.jpg

you can find alot of DWG files on the internet, then you just gotta make them to scale and make them into 3dcad files.

• Members

nice strat. the ric fretboard is raise a mile off the body, i just need the height of a standard fender neck. just enough to keep the bridge at a sensible height. will still need to be recessed though.

my design will be "original", but generally based on the mira specs - lp double cut with a forearm carve. i have actually already designed the body, but it will need to be remade cause i no longer have solidworks (sob). not a big problem, only takes a few hours.

ive used my own cnc mill to cut neck pockets and tenons already, but this new one is big enough to do bodies and neck backs so it should be fun fun!

:)

• Members

Thats cool. im not a techy guy, i much prefer to make things by hand. one day when i can afford to have a small cnc machine in my wood shop i will probably hire my buddy to design me some guitar stuff in exchange for a few guitars, he designs engines and multi-axis stuff for motor companies, i think he might be able to handle a guitar. i just wanna do it to cut the tops of neck-through axes so that i only need to glue on a fretboard and start from there.

• Members

so im looking through my blocks of maple.

i have 2 possible candidates for a neck.

- one is a big square quartered block that will allow an angled headstock. its got a subtle pinkish colour.

- the other is also quartered, paler white, with a wider grain. it also has a very subtle flame figure in the middle which would show on the neck back. it isnt big enough for an angled headstock though, it would be flat.

beyond that, the other question is: make a separate fretboard, or make it a single piece neck with a skunk stripe down the back?

edit: nm the woods, the pale one is out. the pink one is just easier to set up on the machine and doesnt require any design compromise. it will also make 2 necks in one go.

Archived