So Angus Young just plays straight into his Marshalls?

EADGBE

• Members
I saw a photo of Malcolm with old Mesa Boogie 4x12 stacks with the wire front grills sitting behind him. Did AC/DC in fact use Mesa amps at one time during the early 80's and for how long? It must not have been for very long.

AC/DC used Legend amps as well in the early 80's.
The screened amps with the lights on top during the For Those About To Rock tour.
I was told this by a very trustworthy salesman at Reliable Music in Charlotte back in 1981 as I toted away my Legend 30 Model A. (Possibly Jack)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
He uses heavy gauge Gibson strings, .012 to .056.

Musician.com: Any pedals or effects?

Banks: No. He's got the Samson wireless just like Angus. It comes out of the guitar into that. I've got a four-way A/B box because Malcolm pops a lot of strings.
He plays with a heavy Fender pick and he basically wears them away. He goes through about 40 or 50 picks a night, and he'll sometimes dig in and pop an A or D string, usually the D.
So I've always got three spare guitars wired up and ready to go.

the guy wears 50 picks a night and pops 12s like they're nothing?? that's crazy!

Especially considering he's about 4 feet tall.

• Members
I always heard he plugged straight into a Marshall JTM45 that they usually kept hidden back/under the stage.....

One of the guitar mags had a pic of his rig a few years back. There was a JTM45 running a dummy speaker box and 4 plexi reissues onstage,

• Members
nvm, i figured it out. the fender picks are made from celluloid which warps and breaks down in no time.

Yup. I used to gig with them. Used 1 every couple of songs. I switched to 3mm Dunlop stubbies. They last forever, and my playing has greatly improved.

• Members

Angus said in an interview that Malcom used to play all the leads. In fact he said on the "early recordings" its all Malcom. Is he referring to demos? I want to hear Malcom solo.

I think Malcom is truly underrated. He is a huge part of thier sound, alot of times I just listen to what hes playing If I can pick it out. The dynamic between him and his brother is amazing, and then throw in Bon Scotts voice which sounds like a dirty amp itself and you've got pure GOLD. People dismiss them for being simple, but man they get every ounce of drama out of those 3 little chords its unbelievable.

To me early AC/DC are the epitome of rock....The absolutely perfect rock band.

• Members
For all the glory of and simplicity of the guitar straight to Marshall goodness, Malcolm reported used Amplitube 2 on 2 tracks of Black Ice...

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/amplitube/testimonials/NewsDisplay.php?Id=1994

That being said, can't wait to see them in all their glory on Nov 2 in Dallas!

I'm not saying it's impossible that he actually uses amplitube, but I bet he'd say he's a big fan of for instance Guitar Rig 3 if he had a contract with them instead of with ik multimedia. Disguised endorsement, very clever.