Anyone use humbuckers for country?

Tedddy

• Members

I am sorry it can not be done. We all know that humbuckers are rock n roll only just as a Tele will only play country and blues. But it can only play blues on the 5th Tuesday of the month. It is true!! really it is. I read it on the internut. If it is posted in a forum it has to be true.

• Members

I am sorry it can not be done. We all know that humbuckers are rock n roll only just as a Tele will only play country and blues. But it can only play blues on the 5th Tuesday of the month. It is true!! really it is. I read it on the internut. If it is posted in a forum it has to be true.

:lol::lol::lol:

• Members

Telecasters used to be the guitar of choice for country music, but I've been surprised lately at how many Les Pauls I've seen on stage in country music bands. As far as choosing a nice clear humbucker, the Duncan Jazz has some of the best clarity I've heard. I have one in the neck of a Les Paul, installed with a push-pull for series/parallel switching. The parallel setting gives you a slightly thinner brighter tone, and I would highly recommend it for any humbucker you choose - either that or coil split for more of a single coil tone.

I think a large part of that may be due to the fact that Gibson moved their main factory from Kalamazoo to Nashville in the 1970's. Once they did that, Gibson made a concerted effort to put their guitars in the hands of as many country artists as they possibly could.

But even some classic country guitarists (Chet Atkins, Hank Garland, Roy Nichols, 'Thumbs' Carlyle, Albert Lee, Clint Strong with Merle Haggard) used humbucker-equipped Gibsons back in the day.

@Tedddy: If you love the feel of your PRS, I would swap out the pickups before you trade in that guitar. There are plenty of low-output humbuckers that will give you the tone you want. Even if that doesn't work, try a pair of humbucker-sized P-90's: plenty of great country guitarists have used those pickups for great effect.

Archived