Anyone use humbuckers for country?

Tedddy

• Members

I have a PRS, i love the balance, playability and feel of the guitar but i hate the pickups.

I like jangly sounds and i'm getting more into country.

I want a clear sounding humbucker.

I used to have an SG with a duncan JB that sounded nice and bright.

I'm considering gfs memphis, or maybe the gibson burstbucker.

please give me additional suggestions

:eek:

• Members

I have a PRS, i love the balance, playability and feel of the guitar but i hate the pickups.

how bout dicky betts?

• Members

Sure, lots of folks use HBs for country music. Back in the day tons of country players were using PRS guitars in the studio and on stage. Pickups can be tough to judge. They are one ingredient in a complex recipe that makes a guitar a musical instrument. Is your PRS an SE or MIA? Does it have carved maple top? My 89/90 Custom is super bright and I've always loved the guitar as is.

Good luck.

• Members

I play rhythm and lead guitar in a country band. Most of the time I'm on a Tele or Strat but I have a Tele style guitar with APC humbuckers. It is wired to split the pickups and I have to say, they sound amazing. They are pricey but well worth the dough in my opinion.

Anymore, country is more about a rock sound than it is a twang sound so I guess it depends on what you are after.

There is a local band close to where I live and that guy only used PRS guitars for country. He isn't an amazing player or anything but he is pretty good.

• Members

I play my Les Pauls on country gigs all the time.

A lot of the country flavor comes from the snapping and pulling on the strings as well as some chicken pickin' and cool major pentatonic and dominant 7th type runs.

Humbuckers are perfectly fine for this.

• Members

My PRS does jangly. It has 57/08 pups & with the coil tap the underwound sound is very clear.

• Members

Telecasters used to be the guitar of choice for country music, but I've been surprised lately at how many Les Pauls I've seen on stage in country music bands. As far as choosing a nice clear humbucker, the Duncan Jazz has some of the best clarity I've heard. I have one in the neck of a Les Paul, installed with a push-pull for series/parallel switching. The parallel setting gives you a slightly thinner brighter tone, and I would highly recommend it for any humbucker you choose - either that or coil split for more of a single coil tone.

• Members

I like the TV Jones TV-Tron "Classic" for a filtertron-type sound in a humbucker-sized pickup, but they are fairly expensive, new. You can get them on E-bay usually for about 1/2 to 3/4 new cost. I'm not sure there are too many pickups that would be more "jangly" than the TV-Tron.

If you want more of a single-coil sound, TV-Jones makes one called the "Magna-Tron" that is supposed to be "Twangy/Spanky" sounding. It is also available in a humbucker housing, or you can get it in the standard housing, with the gibson-type mounting ears and pickup ring, to retain a retro Gretsch-type look.

http://www.tvjones.com/home/home.html

:)

• Members

I saw a Vince Gill concert on TV the other day... and he and his Tele KILLED!

I'm not really a Tele guy, but Vince Gill and Brad Paisley are probably my two favorite popular country guitarists, their tone ALWAYS kills and they usually play Teles.

If ya want a Tele, get a Tele. A PRS should do fine in a country setting, with the right amp and player of course, but if you're drawn to the Tele, give in, man. Get the Tele.

Archived