Impending NGD! Couldn't help myself!

Vespertine

• Members

So I was on the market for a Jazzmaster, actually I even started a thread about it earlier today... and after a browsing around for a while, I came across with the Classic 66'...It was a little bit above my budget range, but as soon as I saw those block inlays... I just couldn't resist :evil: plus it's a limited run (supposedly) so that can be a good thing later on.

I never buy out of impulse, but it's been so long since I bought myself something nice that I said {censored} it! I managed to get a 15% off because I told them my local store had them at the same price so it all came down to 1,050 :D

Anyone own one of these around here? Haven't heard much about them.

http://www.alpha-music.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=5326&idcategory=891

025050050000XL.jpg

025050050000_1XL.jpg

025050050000_2XL.jpg

• Members

You sure you wanna do this?

I mean...really...are you sure?

It's a cool guitar....now you run the risk of being seen with a cool guitar and everyone will think you're cool too....that's a dangerous thing. Women will flock to you when they see you playing this guitar. You'll have to fend them off. Push them away. They will will want sex....no doubt. What will you do then?

;)

• Members

So is this thing set up like a classic player or like an AVRI bridgewise. It is gorgeous.

It has the normal Jazzmaster arrangement. It is CIJ though so its not AVRI hardware, but a lesser quality and I believe different string spacing.

That is a lot of money for a CIJ, especially when the pickups are essentially junk. They are Strat pickups basically.

Also, "limited" only works in context. They make a lot of B&B Jags and Jazzmasters in Japan. However now they sent a "limited" amount to the USA and Europe. But after that it is still pretty easy to import a used CIJ from Japan.

Here is a slightly used CAR version for $800

http://davesguitar.com/fender/jazzmaster-block-inlay,-recent-8491.asp

I really wanted B&B until I bought an AVRI used for less. And there is no need to upgrade an AVRI.

• Members

The string spacing is the same as the AVRI from what I've read. Actually it's essentially a reproduction, with the standard specs. I do agree though, it's not the greatest deal ever, considering it's a CIJ. However, there aren't many options around here that offer those specs in that same range.. at least not in the US. But, overall I'm pretty stoked about it, I'm not sure I could've gotten one like it for under 1k, new and with free shipping. :)

• Members
The string spacing is the same as the AVRI from what I've read. Actually it's essentially a reproduction, with the standard specs. I do agree though, it's not the greatest deal ever, considering it's a CIJ. However, there aren't many options around here that offer those specs in that same range.. at least not in the US. But, overall I'm pretty stoked about it, I'm not sure I could've gotten one like it for under 1k, new and with free shipping.
:)

No. Its not a reproduction, reissue or anything close to that. I mean, B&B necks were a CBS thing, yet this guitar has a pre-CBS headstock and decal. That is totally wrong. The pickups are very cheap and nothing like a Jazzmaster. The trem is not the same as an AVRI or a vintage Jazzmaster. It is what it is, an overpriced cool guitar that needs a few hundred dollars more in mods.

I know that if you take CIJ Mustang saddles (and CIJ Mustang and Jazzmaster bridges would be interchangeable, and try and put them on an AVRI Jazzmaster bridge, there are gaps between the saddles because one has string spacing in metric, the other has standard.

• Members
No. Its not a reproduction, reissue or anything close to that. I mean, B&B necks were a CBS thing, yet this guitar has a pre-CBS headstock and decal. That is totally wrong. The pickups are very cheap and nothing like a Jazzmaster. The trem is not the same as an AVRI or a vintage Jazzmaster. It is what it is, an overpriced cool guitar that needs a few hundred dollars more in mods.

I know that if you take CIJ Mustang saddles (and CIJ Mustang and Jazzmaster bridges would be interchangeable, and try and put them on an AVRI Jazzmaster bridge, there are gaps between the saddles because one has string spacing in metric, the other has standard.

Ok so I got an overpriced, crappy Japanese Jazzmaster then. It aint a AVRI, point taken. Better? :poke::facepalm:

As long as it plays awesome, I'm good. That's all I'm expecting from it anyway. As for the pickups, I'll give them a shot to see what they sound like. That's always something that ultimately boils down to personal preferences and setup/application. Same way some people swear by their inexpensive stock pups while other gut their top of the line models to replace them with Fralins, Novaks, and the like.

• Members

Ok so I got an overpriced, crappy Japanese Jazzmaster then. It aint a AVRI, point taken. Better? :poke:
:facepalm:

As long as it plays awesome, I'm good. That's all I'm expecting from it anyway. As for the pickups, I'll give them a shot to see what they sound like. That's always something that ultimately boils down to personal preferences and setup/application. Same way some people swear by their inexpensive stock pups while other gut their top of the line models to replace them with Fralins, Novaks, and the like.

Did I say it was crappy? CIJs are nice. That is just WAAYY too much money for one. At $1000 any guitar should have quality all the way around, not some cheap pickups that you think you would find in a Squier.

If you are spending this money for a Jazzmaster I figured you would want Jazzmaster pickups. What this guitar has now are not Jazzmaster pickups but Strat pickups in disguise. The guitar will have none of the warm and fat yet still clear qualities of a Jazzmaster. Find a set of used stock AVRI pickups

Archived