Rosewood neck guitars

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Moderators

Any of you out there have one of the PRS rosewood necked guitars or have handled one?

I have a circa 200 year old piece of Indian rosewood from a stairs that I've been keeping for some time, and wondering whether to stick it on a black limba bodied singlecut of kinds.

Was just wondering if they end up much heavier than a mahogany neck equivalent

• Moderators

My Schroeder Guitar is Limba with an IRW neck and it's one of my lightest guitars.

I don't know how Jason did it but it's way light. I know the guitar is not chambered.

:eek:

Any chance of a few pics?

Setneck?

It should be pretty light with limba as it's akin to nice light Honduran mahogany

These are the piece I have, was originally destined for a double cut, but.....

blank.jpg

• Members

Any of you out there have one of the PRS rosewood necked guitars or have handled one?

I have a circa 200 year old piece of Indian rosewood from a stairs that I've been keeping for some time, and wondering whether to stick it on a black limba bodied singlecut of kinds.

i played a prs with a rosewood neck when testing an amp. i didnt find the guitar remotely interesting. not sure why. the neck felt smooth, but not "natural", more like a satin poly than raw wood. i only played it for maybe 15 minutes though.

• Members

Weight, really? Man, that would be my last concern.

Here's a photo.

4.jpg

My uncle has on of those!!!! (the # of 500 right?)

He let me strum it but I didn't feel comfortable touching it hahaha. I'll just take my ash strat and not feel bad if I bump it around a little bit. :thu:

• Members

My uncle has on of those!!!! (the # of 500 right?)

Do you mean one of the PRS Limited ones?

Mine is made by Jason Schroeder, not PRS.

My guitar is so bumped, chipped and digged from gigging and studio sessions.

It's retired now. But the first 3 years I had it it was my #1. I don't play it anymore for the most part. It just hangs on a wall and looks pretty. Sort of.

• Moderators

Whenever I set out to put my heart into a build with some special piece of wood, I'm concerned about every last detail, and for me weight is a particular concern as it can be the difference bewteen a well weighted and balanced guitar to a shabby heavy boatanchor

• Moderators

I've played a Klein acoustic and a couple Kasha-style classicals with rosewood necks, and neither one had dive/weight problems. Not all that helpful, I know.

Hmmm, I think as Webwarmiller pointed out it's pretty close to maple really, so shouldnt be much different than a maple necked set neck build....I'm probably looking for a reason not to use this wood:facepalm:

• Members

Make it a neck-through for better balance, performance and ease of construction in my opinion...if it's long enough. Just power plane it to a level board, slap two wings to the sides.... add electronics etc.

The only hard part would be making a "scarf joint" to create the headstock angle. You might get around that by shaping the neck like a Fender neck there with string trees if the board is thick eough. Still a lot easier than making a bolt-on or glue-on neck pocket/joint in dense rosewood.

One cool thing might be if you inserted the truss rod from below and just fretted the neck without a fingerboard at all.

• Moderators

Make it a neck-through for better balance, performance and ease of construction in my opinion...if it's long enough. Just power plane it to a level board, slap two wings to the sides.... add electronics etc.

The only hard part would be making a "scarf joint" to create the headstock angle. You might get around that by shaping the neck like a Fender neck there with string trees if the board is thick eough. Still a lot easier than making a bolt-on or glue-on neck pocket/joint in dense rosewood.

One cool thing might be if you inserted the truss rod from below and just fretted the neck without a fingerboard at all.

It's not long enough to go neck through sadly, but it's wide enough and fat enough to do an 18 degree headstock and 75mm wide headstock, the original newell post was a well beat 3" square by 36" long that I recovered

• Members

Ive never used indian rosewood for a neck, only bolivian. bolivian i believe is a good bit heavier and more dense, which is why they call it pau ferro, or iron wood. It added some weight to the guitar no doubt, but nothing unbearable compared to a hard maple neck.

• Members

Yes I own a Private Stock PRS Modern Eagle 1 with a solid Brazillian Rosewood neck.

I got it at Bizarre Guitars in Reno, Nev.

Here are some pics of it....

150.jpg

As far as the neck goes....it is one of the LONGEST SUSTAINING guitars I have ever played. The Brazillian Rosewood is incredible as far as sustain.

It was a Private Stock because of the top, mine is quilted and the regular ME1's are flamed.

The pickups are a bit dark for some, but I absolutely love the way they sound.

And mine is very light. I don't know what other kinds of wood they used, but it is a very light guitar compared to some tele's and les pauls I have played.

I would purchase this guitar again in a heartbeat if I had the money.

Archived