In Praise of Violent Guitar Tones

thirdtwin

• Members

I'm thinking Greg Ginn on Black Flag's Damaged EP, Jon Spencer on {censored} Galore's Right Now LP, Bryan Gregory on The Cramps' Songs The Lord Taught Us LP, and so on.

In many ways, these guitarists go against so much that is talked about regarding all things 'tone', and yet rarely has a six-stringed instrument plugged into a battered combo/stack sounded quite so, well, toneful, I suppose, as it does in the hands of these sonic sadists?

Any other great 'anti-tone' merchants worth considering?

• Members

I've always wanted to like the MC5 more than I actually do. Granted though, the guitars on Starship can get pretty out-there at times.

I don't know the name of the guitarist involved, but the tone on Count Five's Psychotic Reaction is just down-right sinister.

I really wish someone would start up a magazine, along the lines of Guitarist, but which focuses on these kind of players rather than yet another bloody David Gilmour article.

• Members

Yeah, no question about Asheton. Lyle Presler from Minor Threat also created some outrageously spiteful tones. Check out Screaming at a Wall from the Discography compilation. Sheer violence.

[edit] Damn - I can't download that sample cos I'm using someone else's comp at the moment.

• Members
Blixa Bargeld from Einsturzende Neubauten also deserves an honorary mention.

never thought I would see them mentioned here. :cool:

Greg Ginn is fantastic!
My favorite terror guitarrist comes from Japan. His name is Makoto Kawabata (or Kawabata Makoto) and his band is called Acid Mothers Temple.

jUZL6wbxKok

He swings his guitar for the sounds, not for destruction. :thu:

The guy from Helmet, also. His tone is pure brick to the face.

• Members

If Tom Morello played punk, he'd probably be Ichiro Agata of Melt-Banana. Agata has a very jagged tone, and their usually-DIY production values don't help matters much. He has a lot of effects on hand, but half the time he sounds like he's plugged straight in, without regard to where the knobs are set.

• Members

I once saw Daniel Lanois live, and was amazed by the fact that he could play very sweet, beautiful songs, with the ugliest dirty guitar tone he could get. This guy is a genius producer, who happen to appreciate the vertues of ugly tones. :thu:

No mentions of Jack White anyone? This guy sells millions of albums with a dirty out-of-tune-from-a-cheap-guitar tone. Quite an achievement.

• Members
I once saw Daniel Lanois live, and was amazed by the fact that he could play very sweet, beautiful songs, with the ugliest dirty guitar tone he could get. This guy is a genius producer, who happen to appreciate the vertues of ugly tones.
:thu:

No mentions of Jack White anyone?
This guy sells millions of albums with a dirty out-of-tune-from-a-cheap-guitar tone. Quite an achievement.

That was my first thought for rude violent tone.
I'd also like to throw Link Wray into the ring.

• Members

Cheetah Chrome & Jimmy Zero: Dead Boys - Sonic Reducer
[YOUTUBE]r8dC9M6OCkE[/YOUTUBE]

James Williamson : Stooges - Search & Destroy
[YOUTUBE]TKYALsp-sIg&feature[/YOUTUBE]

Johnny Ramone, Brian James, Steve Jones, Glen Buxton, Michael Bruce, Mick Ronson, Ed Kuepper, Johnny Thunders, Marco Pirroni, Richie Stotts, Guy Days, are all pretty edgy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

He swings his guitar for the sounds, not for destruction.
:thu:

The guy from Helmet, also. His tone is pure brick to the face.

I'm reviving this thread because nasty, gritty, ugly guitar tone is {censored}ing great.

Archived