WTH is goin on (Gibson SG issues)

Jcm800_6550

• Members

ok i just baught a new sg and it sounded great at first, then i started paying more attaention and i think gibson put the neck pickup in the bridge and the bridge in the neck because my neck pickup seems ALOT hotter than my bridge and my bridge pickup is all the way up and my neck pickup is lower ,has this ever happened to anyone and could this could have actually happened.

also the neck is buzzy for frets 1-10 then on 12-22 it has no buzz, it has no cut atall and is really smooth and has no grit(not a good thing), whats goin on?? truss rod adjustment?:confused:

Thanks so much for any replies im just trying to figure out what could be wrong with it before i bring it back to be fixed.:wave:

• Members

capo the first fret, put your finger of your right hand on the 22 fret of the low E and hold it there. tap the 12th fret and 7th fret with your left hand. if there is more than a playing cards gap between the string and the fret, it needs to be tightened. if there is no gap, it needs to be loostened, unless its miraculously perfectly straight, in which case you need fretwork.

the pickup thing is a common problem. alot of times if the bridge pickup is to close to the strings, the magnet pull will cut down the string vibration. try lowering both just a little bit.

• Members

The neck pickup as naturally louder, due to the width of the string vibration over the neck pickup (or something like that...), which is why bridge pickups are hotter (to try to balance this out a bit). Most of my guitars are similar.

Sounds like a truss adjustment is in order.

• Members

ok thanks, i figured it was truss rod issues im gonna bring it to the guitar center i baught it at later this week and let them do it. lol

Thanks alot guys, i was stressing.

I'd find a reputable private shop for the setup. I suppose they're all different but I've never heard of anyone who was all that happy with a GC setup.

Just google search "guitar setup" with your zipcode and you should be able to see some feedback and reviews of the results. It's usually obvious which shop is the one to go to in an area.

• Members

I'd find a reputable private shop for the setup. I suppose they're all different but I've never heard of anyone who was all that happy with a GC setup.

Just google search "guitar setup" with your zipcode and you should be able to see some feedback and reviews of the results. It's usually obvious which shop is the one to go to in an area.

+1 A guitar off the floor @GC is going to need a setup and your chances of finding a competent tech @GC is almost nonexistent.

• Members

Lower the neck pickup and raise the bridge pickup to balance their outputs. The neck pickup is going to be louder because of it's location. String travel is much greater over the neck pickup than over the bridge so there is more disturbance in the magnetic field.

The truss rod sounds like it may just need to be loosened a bit to add a little relief.

You'd be better off learning to do your own set ups instead taking it to Guitar Center. They'll just send it off to someone else and you'll be without it for a few days at least.

• Members

tell 'em also to have your nut cut really low, and first few frets filed (lowered) to compensate

(otherwise you might get those common intonation problems you get with SG's, especially trouble getting the G string in tune properly)

• Members

tell 'em also to have your nut cut really low, and first few frets filed (lowered) to compensate

(otherwise you might get those common intonation problems you get with SG's, especially trouble getting the G string in tune properly)

That's a problem for any guitar with high nut slots.

The intonation problem you are referring to is probably due the SG's neck being a bit more flexible than most other guitars. That can be fixed by adjusting your technique so that your fretting hand applies as little force on the neck as possible. Don't let your arm hang limp as you are fretting.

• Members

+1 A guitar off the floor @GC is going to need a setup and your chances of finding a competent tech @GC is almost nonexistent.

Our local GC has a full time tech now. He said that every store should have one pretty soon and that they should all be certified by the major companies before very long.

He only sets up the higher end guitars unless someone asks him to do a set up on a cheapie.

Surfy

• Members

Our local GC has a full time tech now. He said that every store should have one pretty soon and that they should all be certified by the major companies before very long.

He only sets up the higher end guitars unless someone asks him to do a set up on a cheapie.

Surfy

I've heard that for years. I knew a very skilled tech who worked there for a couple weeks and said that not only was the pay lousy but that he was not treated professionally by management. Seems to be a recurring theme @my local store. I go in for strings and such maybe once a month and half the staff is turned over. +I wholeheartedly agree that if you're gonna play you should know how to setup.

• Members

Surfy

where in so cal are you located? a couple of my buddies do great work as techs at so cal GC's (not hired by GC fyi)

• Members

well the reason i want to bring it to guitar center is because i just baught it there yesterday and they will do it for free and i want to make sure there isint something actually wrong with the guitar itself like poor qualty of the neck and fret levels, if it does have something wrong theyll give me a different new one i guess

Archived