Replacing stock pickups in my SG Standard with '57 Classics?

Burstbucker

• Members

I recently scored a 2007 Gibson SG Standard. I'd like to get some of your thoughts on the stock 490R/498T pups vs. '57 Classics.

I actually like the stock 490R and 498T pickups in this guitar but I've got a '57 Classic and '57 Classic+ on my Epiphone Dot Deluxe, I'm kind of half toying with the idea of putting those pickups on my SG, what do you guys think?

In the past, I had removed the 490R and 498T pups in my Les Paul Standard and put in some Seymour Duncans, a Jazz in the neck and a JB in the bridge but in the end I actually prefered the stock Gibson pickups, call me crazy but it's true. I really missed the chime/cluck of the 490R & 498T when the pickup selector switch was in the middle position. These two stock pickups seem to go well together IMHO.

Any love out there for the 490R/498T pickups?

Knowing how much I can't leave well enough alone, I bet it won't be long before I rip those '57 Classic pups out of my Epiphone Dot Deluxe and try them out in my SG Standard, I'm just too curious I guess.:)

• Members

I enjoyed my the Paul2 with the stock bridge, but it did sound nasal

I put a custom custom in it and it sounds better, especially with neck pup

I was thinking about replacing it with my strat's '57 voodoopickup, but the

installation was professional, and I don't want to degrade it in any way..

• Members

Leave your SG Std as is.

If you already like the 490/498, then you like the 490/498. - period.

I personally am not a big fan of the 498 since it's more of an overdrive pickup, but it does do that well.

I actually prefer a 490T.

But my fave combo is the BB1/BB2 in an SG.

I find the '57s to be a bit bitey for the thinner bod of an SG. But add some nickel wrap strings and it tames them sufficiently.

adieu.

Archived