Adding A Tone Control To A Squier 51

VVarlocked

• Members

Can it be done with the stock set-up? A wiring diagram would be
:thu:

It can be done, but you'll need to either add a knob or a pickup selector switch. There are a number of ways including concentric pots (vol & tone) replacing the rotary with a tone pot and adding a toggle elsewhere. The trick is retaining the coil tap. Doing it all withing the little cavity and on that tiny plate is no small feat. If you haven't seen the Squier '51 Modders Forum you should check out some of the things guys have done over there:

http://www.instituteofnoise.com/Squier51/forum/default.asp

I added a tone on mine by enlarging the cavity and crafting a new steel plate so I could keep the knobs separated by a functional distance. I actally love the rotary switch...I have since placed a chickenhead knob on it which made a WORLD of difference.

DSC_1201.jpg

As for wiring diagrams, check out the Seymour Duncan website. They have umpteen configurations. The key to adding a tone knob is really no different than any guitar with a tone circuit. It is designed to bleed off high frequencies usually from the volume pot.

• Members
I can't think of a way you can have volume, tone, coil splitting, and a
3-way
switch in only 2 components.

Anyone know if a push/pull pot exists that can do 3-way switching?

Nope. The most common way I saw guys do it is to go concentric for volume & tone and add a mini toggle in the middle for the coil split. :idk:

• Members

Since you have to add another control, why not do something really cool with it? I think a really cool setup would be a push-pull pot for volume and coil split, a tone pot, and a blend pot with a chickenhead knob so you can see the position easily and adjust it quickly.

• Members

Since you have to add another control, why not do something really cool with it? I think a really cool setup would be a push-pull pot for volume and coil split, a tone pot, and a blend pot with a chickenhead knob so you can see the position easily and adjust it quickly.

I toyed with the idea of a blend pot, and also two separate vols like a Jazz bass. In the end I decided to keep the rotary which switches smoothly & silently (and effortlessly with the checkhead). I did keep the pushpull volume too.

VVarlocked, three knobs on that one plate are gonna be tight....also that cavity is tight too.

• Members

I toyed with the idea of a blend pot, and also two separate vols like a Jazz bass. In the end I decided to keep the rotary which switches smoothly & silently (and effortlessly with the checkhead). I did keep the pushpull volume too.

VVarlocked, three knobs on that one plate are gonna be tight....also that cavity is tight too.

But a blend pot would do everything your setup does plus all the pickup blends in between the switched positions!

• Members

Well, after looking around, I ordered one of those IanRicH custom control plates. This is the wiring I've settled on http://shop.seeker.co.nz/51/pics/circuit9.pdf

Now can someone explain this to me? Does this mean that I solder a wire from the bridge and neck pickup onto the far right bottom lug of the switch and solder another wire onto a lug on the volume pot? Do I then solder another wire from the lug on the volume pot to a lug on the tone pot and another wire from that same lug on the volume put to the ground on the output jack?

As you can tell, I'm somewhat confused.

• Members

Now can someone explain this to me? Does this mean that I solder a wire from the bridge and neck pickup onto the far right bottom lug of the switch and solder another wire onto a lug on the volume pot? Do I then solder another wire from the lug on the volume pot to a lug on the tone pot and another wire from that same lug on the volume put to the ground on the output jack?

As you can tell, I'm somewhat confused.

No, those are all ground points, and in order to minimize ground loops, I would recommend soldering them all to the back of the Vol. pot and then sending ONE ground wire from the pot casing to the jack ground. As for the ground lug on the vol. pot itself, you just bend it backwards until it touches the pot casing, and solder it too.

• Members

I can't think of a way you can have volume, tone, coil splitting, and a
3-way
switch in only 2 components.

Anyone know if a push/pull pot exists that can do 3-way switching?

It can be done. Sort of.

Use a concentric pot for volume and tone, a 3 way toggle, and one of these.

The coli split switches are in the pickup ring.

617322.jpg

• Members

It can be done. Sort of.

Use a concentric pot for volume and tone, a 3 way toggle, and one of
these.

The coli split switches are in the pickup ring.

617322.jpg

Damn, that's an awesome little tool. Too bad I already ordered that new control plate...

Except I'd probably have to get a new bridge pickup to use that anyway

• Members

So every dot in the middle of the wires is a ground, and, for the most part, I just solder them to the ground lug on the volume pot?

No, every dot in the wire path is a junction (or connection between two or more wires), but not necessarily a ground point. Incidentally, the diagram is also slightly incorrect, as there are two junctions which are not marked as such-- coming off the hot and the ground wires of the bridge pickup to the switch.

Archived