Do You Ever Mix or Master on Headphones?

Anderton

• Members

Thanks, everybody. This will really help as a new living situation will force me to relinquish my, ahem, "studio;" and thus my beloved KRK V8s will most likely end up in the basement.

I can't even bear the thought of mixing on my Edirol MA-7A monitors, as there is so much EQ smearing in comparison to the V8s. I'm thinking instead of going the route that many of you are; using my AKG K240s. An example: I checked out Prince's "Special Dance Mix" of "Let's Go Crazy," and I could hear nearly the same elements in the AKGs versus the V8s, such as the double-bass drums underneath the wah guitar at the song's climax. I'll still use the MA-7As as reference along with the car stereo. Granted, it's a compromise, but until my studio situation changes, it'll have to do.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm using headphones about 99% of the time. Its more out of necessity than choice. The last 16 months, I've been on the road constantly. I literally have a "home away from home studio" that doesn't even have any monitors.

I've been using Sony MDR-7506 for many, many years. In the past year in particular I've been writing music and mixing on them more than ever. I think I've finally learned how to mix in them (which usually means turning the bass down). They have been a really good set of headphones for sample editing and other detailed editing work.

Having said that, I recently tried Shure's new SRH440 headphones and I was really impressed. I think anyone shopping for a great set of headphones should check these out! I will likely replace my Sony's for a set of these this week.

• Members

Having said that, I recently tried Shure's new SRH440 headphones and I was really impressed. I think anyone shopping for a great set of headphones should check these out! I will likely replace my Sony's for a set of these this week.

FWIW, those are the phones Shure recommends for mixing. I have a set here I'll be reviewing for the article.

• Members

I was at Sweetwater two weeks ago doing a demo on the same day that Shure was there with their headphones. I tried out the SRH440's and the more expensive SRH840.

The SRH840 are larger, heavier but VERY, comfortable. The frequency response is a little different - in fact its a little softer on the high end. To my ears they didn't have the detail of the SRH440's. Even Shure's rep said the SRH840's are the ones that you give to the client in the studio for tracking but stick to the SRH440's for mixing.

One interesting note, you can buy the "memory foam" ear pads for the SRH840's and put them SRH440's. I think that would be the ideal combination.

• Members

It's funny you guys say an overextended use of stereo image. I always find a whole hell of a lot more hard-panning in (what I'd presume to be) mixes done on good monitors.

The thing is that tonal balance is easier to match when panning to those extremes on good monitors. It's not a guitar over there, a shaker there - separate sounds. They're easier to blend.. If not the mix then at least on its translation over many systems.

I also notice monitors are less fatiguing.

• Members

I just demoed Redline's Monitor.

This is what I've been wanting. It narrows the stereo spread, but in a way that reacts very much like a room. The reverb levels were spot on after I checked out in the real world. The phantom center was there again just like with monitors (almost) and I got my lead vocal levels right in a flash.

I'm buying. Great product.

So am I. Many thanks for the heads-up. Life will not suck with headphones after all.

Now (off-topic, sorry) to decide whether to use Plogue's Bidule or Audiofile Engineering's Rax to host it (I'm a Propellerhead Record guy).

• Members

So am I. Many thanks for the heads-up. Life will not suck with headphones after all.

Now (off-topic, sorry) to decide whether to use Plogue's Bidule or Audiofile Engineering's Rax to host it (I'm a Propellerhead Record guy).

Record - great program. We're doing a Pro Review on it at http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2471794 - feel free to check in and offer your insights!

Archived