series vs parallel pickup wiring - tone difference?

mike-o

• Members

Series is when the end of one pickup is wired to the end of another, creating one large continous pickup, the sum of the outputs is the resultant output.

In parallel both pickups are connected to the output independantly of each other. the outputs are not summed, i think the math is one over the sum of the outputs.

Series sounds like a humbucker, parallel often sounds like a single-coil. Most humbuckers are, in fact, wired in series. Most middle positions (i.e. 2 & 4 on a strat) are wired in parallel.

Hope this helps.

• Members

Series is when the end of one pickup is wired to the end of another, creating one large continous pickup, the sum of the outputs is the resultant output.

In parallel both pickups are connected to the output independantly of each other. the outputs are not summed, i think the math is one over the sum of the outputs.

Series sounds like a humbucker, parallel often sounds like a single-coil. Most humbuckers are, in fact, wired in series. Most middle positions (i.e. 2 & 4 on a strat) are wired in parallel.

Hope this helps.

This. A series/parallel switch can add tonal options. I've found with humbuckers this is a good thang. But some humbuckers sound better with a coil cut rather than a s/p. Just have to play around.

• Members

Hope this helps.

This. A series/parallel switch can add tonal options. I've found with humbuckers this is a good thang. But some humbuckers sound better with a coil cut rather than a s/p. Just have to play around. Series/split/parallel gives all the options.

• Members

It's usually not a huge night and day difference, but generally, parallel is kind of like a "humbucker lite" - fuller than a single coil, but a bit thinner-sounding than series. I have S/P switching on on a Duncan Jazz and a Duncan Little 59. I tend to use the parallel setting more on a neck pickup for a bit more clarity and note articulation.

Archived