Upgrading Pickups

plopatto

• Members

I recently got a decent guitar (Ibanez!) after my starter Austin, and I've been messing around with Austin, practicing my repair skills. Besides a cracked nut, which I plan on fixing myself for educational purposes, it's a fine instrument. It could be made out of better quality parts and hold it's tune better, but otherwise there are no glaring problems with it.

I wanted to practice installing new pickups in it, but I have no idea which pickups to buy. It has the standard 3 single coil strat-style pickups.

I'd like to get something good enough that there is a noticeable difference over the stock pickups, but not something really expensive.

What are some moderately priced pickups that are a good improvement over the stock ones? I really have no reference point on pickup quality. I can get a set of 3 at GFS.com for around $70, but I don't know if these are considered good. Specifically, I've been looking at the '64 Stagger Greybottoms. Are they any good?

• Members

Maybe buy some Duncans or DiMarzios from ebay. I don't believe in skimping when it comes to pickups.

The premium Alnico 5s and the Alnico IIs aren't really skimping, IMHO. They're cheap, but they're certainly not low-quality.

• Members

I'm not a big fan of 'overwound', 'hot' or 'Texas style' single coils but I will say I have a set of GFS Premium Alnico Vs and a set of their Premium Alnico IIs. Both are a tremendous step up from MIM Standard pickups and a pretty decent step up from the 50s and 60s Classic Series pickups as well.

Or, as EADGBE suggests, maybe some used Duncans or Dimarzios. Or even some used Fenders. They make great pickups, the good ones just cost a few bucks.

• Members

I'd like to get something good enough that there is a noticeable difference over the stock pickups, but not something really expensive.

What are some moderately priced pickups that are a good improvement over the stock ones? I really have no reference point on pickup quality. I can get a set of 3 at GFS.com for around $70, but I don't know if these are considered good. Specifically, I've been looking at the '64 Stagger Greybottoms. Are they any good?

Hi and Welcome to the HC Forums :thu:

What do you not like about the current pu's ?

What do you like about them ?

What do you want to change about them ?

What tipe of music do you want to play mostly ?

Do you want low out-put pick ups, med or hot ?

WHat type of character do you want from the pick ups ? (ie. what type of magnet ?)

Alnico 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, or Ceramic ?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Once we have some more info, we will be able to help you ;)

• Members

Hi and Welcome to the HC Forums
:thu:

What do you not like about the current pu's ?

What do you like about them ?

What do you want to change about them ?

What tipe of music do you want to play mostly ?

Do you want low out-put pick ups, med or hot ?

WHat type of character do you want from the pick ups ? (ie. what type of magnet ?)

Alnico 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, or Ceramic ?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Once we have some more info, we will be able to help you
;)

I don't really know how to describe the current pickups, because I have no reference point. I notice in your signature that you have an Ibanez Artcore AG75. I just got the AF75 (Artcores are pretty sweet eh? How are you liking yours?). The sound is rich and warm, with lots of color (I know this is a function of it being hollow body more than the pickups, I'm just trying to get a sound reference here). In contrast, the Austin is just dull and flat, and doesn't really excite me. I'm looking to give it a little character and a little color. Not necessarily "bluesy" like the Artcore, but some kind of distinctive sound, so if I made recordings of before and after the pickup installation, even an untrained ear would notice a large improvement. The '64 Staggers claim they will give a surf-rock sound, which I think would be interesting.

The reason I'd like to change the pickups is, because as I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), pickups are one of the largest factors in the quality of guitar and how good a guitar sounds. I know the differences between a $100 Austin and a $2000 Gibson are large in terms of things like tuning stability, construction, and playability, but in terms of sound generated it's really just the pickups and amp that do all the work, right?

As far as playing I do, I do some jazz stuff with friends in a band and some small group stuff, but that's just playing out a fake books. I have the Artcore for that though, so I can do whatever I want with this. I'll probably just continue to fiddle around with Zeppelin tunes and other classic rock stuff, and I don't really need any specific sound. I primarily play trumpet, and I have my jazz obligations covered by the Artcore, so I'll just use this as a guitar to mess around with. It's really just a hobby.

I was thinking along the lines of a medium to hot pickup.

Also, I read in another thread that the capacitor on the tone knobs, if improperly set up, can rob a great deal of sound from the pickups. Could you explain this? Are there any other things like this that affect the sound of the guitar I should know about?

• Members

Well, with the new info, I'd update my suggestion to something H/S/S rather than S/S/S. I'd personally get the GFS Premium Alnico V set and I'd get one of the Dimarzio SC-sized HBs. Probably a Chopper, Pro Track or the Fast Track 1.

• Members

The premium Alnico 5s and the Alnico IIs aren't really skimping, IMHO. They're cheap, but they're certainly not low-quality.

Exactly, I think the OP will definitely notice a difference and improvement in tone with the pair he is looking at. I've had the non-staggered overwound greybottom set and they have very strong mids but also have a lot of shimmer and good quack in the 2 and 4 positions. I think the mid hump might be something you'd like if you want a more aggressive sound. But perhaps as others suggested, an HSS setup could be up your alley too.

• Members

pickup.

Also, I read in another thread that the capacitor on the tone knobs, if improperly set up, can rob a great deal of sound from the pickups. Could you explain this? Are there any other things like this that affect the sound of the guitar I should know about?

08122007093.jpg

LOVE my AG75.

I found the stock PU's are great for that warm Jazz'y feel, but not what i wanted so i go a pair of the TV Jones S/C TV-HT's :thu:

Now this guitar has bite and a a mellow character - perfect for my needs.

Yes, i do belive we think along the very same lines !

I am not woried about the "tone wood" all that much, for me it is deff the pick ups on the guitar side of things and then, DEFF the AMP !

By the sound of things, you want a pick up that has a bit of a mid, and maybe even a high-mid hump in it's character.

Unfortunatly i know very little about the '64 Staggers, but i do like the Twang Bangers :evil:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/vintage/twang_banger_ap/ - 8.27K w Alnico II mag.

Also, ask around on the Duncan forum - great guys over there, and believe me, they KNOW their stuff. !

Archived