NGD - Esquire build!

Josh S

• Members

My band has some very specific needs, as you can probably imagine. For one of our tunes, I really needed to have my 62RI tele permanently set up tuned a whole step down. This meant I needed a new tele...

...And here it is. Not the best looking thing in the world (and I didn't get any knobs yet, ha ha), but pretty cool. My guitar tech put it together for me on the weekend and I picked 'er up today.

It's a tele body (routed for a power-bridge, though there isn't one in there), a standard tele bridge-plate, individual barrel-saddles, a nice Bakelite Esquire pickguard, standard tele neck (sanded down a bit though), a Bareknuckle Pickups Esquire pickup in the bridge and... A secret humbucker hidden in the neck position under the pick-guard!

esquired.jpg

The Bareknuckle bridge pickup is the best sounding tele pickup I've ever heard. I'm sold. I will be getting more of their stuff. It is twangy, but super thick and just loves effects, etc. The middle position also rocks - it's very Keef, and super usable. The neck on its own isn't that great, but it doesn't matter because the other two sound wicked.

So there we go. Now I'm going to be bringing four guitars to every show (technically six, since the lap steel is mine and one of the Les Pauls our 2nd guitarist plays is also mine). That's to go along with both amps and all three pedalboards. Our singer says no more :cop: This is the last one allowed :D

• Members

*The* Esquire sound is the raw, cutting "no tone pot" position on the switch. Easy accomplished with a push-pull pot if wanted, but looks like you model doesn't have the option yet. But then I never saw what was wrong with a real one-pickup esquire. People overthink things and what more otpions then they'll ever need.

As for the equipment, as long as people can load their own in and out without others having to help and they can set up in 20 minutes or less, I care less how much equipment they carry. Of course, most of the places in areas I have played would never fit 3 pedalbaords; generally, in towns I played in, you have less than a 10x7 space for everyone and everything..singer, bassist, guitars, singer, drum kit, amps, monitors...the whole kit and caboodle.

• Members

Yeah, theatres are a bit different :D I've played my share of bar gigs with minimal equipment on a teeny stage, don't you worry. I'd like to go simple, but doing the Gilmour thing requires some pretty specific stuff... And a lot of it.

To be honest, I didn't really need the Esquire sound - but I did want the Esquire look. So, mission accomplished :cool:

...Also my tech put the neck pickup in on a whim - originally it was to be a real Esquire. Personally, I don't mind - the middle position makes it worth it :)

Archived