Famous Italian American Guitarists?

RoboCop00

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by kimbal

Sorry all, Zappa is of Arab decent. Look a the schnozes on the Zappa's that ain't no Roman nose it's a Lebanese honker.

Sorry to you, too.

Frank's dad was born in Sicily AND Frank had an Italian mama, as well...

Frank Zappa was born in Baltimore, Maryland on December 21, 1940, to Francis Zappa (born in Partinico, Sicily, of Greek and Lebanese descent) and Rose Marie Colimore (who was of 3 quarters Italian including Sicilian and 1/4 French descent).

In fact "Zappa" is an Italian name; zappa means "hoe", as in agricultural hand tool.

By the way, most Lebanese I know take exception to being called "Arab". Although they are now part of the Arabic-speaking world, they are historically and culturally Levantine, with connections to ancient Phoenecia. Many Lebanese have maintained a non-Arabic (as in not originating in the Arabian Peninsula) identity, to the point of holding onto pre-Islamic identity such that Lebanese Maronite Christian, Roman Catholic, and Byzantine Christian traditions can be traced to antiquity, even apostolic times.

• Members

Hey Picker thanks for the history lesson. I am always up to learn more. Strange, if you do a search of Zappa he shows up on Famous Lebanese people.

I am a bender and that ain't no bender nose. Look at a profile of Frank and Jamie Farr, could pass for cousins.

Now, Luca Brasie that's another story. :)

• Members

Originally posted by kimbal

Hey Picker thanks for the history lesson. I am always up to learn more. Strange, if you do a search of Zappa he shows up on Famous Lebanese people.

I am a bender and that ain't no bender nose. Look at a profile of Frank and Jamie Farr, could pass for cousins.

Now, Luca Brasie that's another story.
:)

He certainly qualifies as a Lebanese-American, and as an Italian-American, (and as a Greek- or Franco-American, like the s'ghetti).

Most ethnic groups are cool with including the famous, successful, and powerful among their number, even if the blood is thin. :D

• Members

Originally posted by RoboCop00

I just realized there are quite a few very talented Italian-American guitarists. Now that I think about it, a lot of them are in the 'shred' category.

Steve Vai

John Frusciante

John Petrucci

Michael Romeo

Joe Satriani

Al Pitrelli

Michael Angelo Batio

Al Di Meola

Chris Impellitteri

why did you limit it to just the ones that are American?

• Members

Just seems to me like you'd say Italian..

either that or it was just another one of those dumb politically correct, gotta add hyponamerican to everything.

Like..what, an Italian is gonna be pissed cuz you called him Italian?

anyway, add me to the list

I'm Italian and HAPPEN TO BE American

• Members

Originally posted by Polaris20

Richie Sambora is not Italian. And Zappa was a Sicilian-American; and yes, as a childhood friend will point out, there is definitely a difference.
:D

Um, what exactly is Sambora then? IIRC, I remember him saying in that he was italian in a tv interview...but I might be mistaken. He most certainly looks, acts and dresses the part...

• Members

Originally posted by strangegrey

Um, what exactly is Sambora then? IIRC, I remember him saying in that he was italian in a tv interview...but I might be mistaken. He most certainly looks, acts and dresses the part...

Don't actual Italian nationals (from Europe) consider themselves from their region first and citizens of the country second (ethnicity vs political identity)?

So you have Tuscans, Umbrians, Napolitani, Sicilians, etc.? When immigrants came through Ellis Island, it all became "Italian" and the Italian-American identity was formed...maybe.

Also, parts of Italy (Venice, certain areas of Sicily, Calabria, Apulia) were once under Classical Greek and later, Byzantine rule and influence. The mathematician Pythagoras was a native of the town of Crotone, in Calabria. Byzantines were the "Greeks" of medieval times, and they left their mark in the culture, art, architecture, and gene pool of those regions. Sicilian women can be heart-stoppingly gorgeous...especially if their papa catches you looking. :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by strangegrey

I believe that Sambora's dad is Polish and his mom is Italian, so he qualifies.

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

I believe that Sambora's dad is Polish and his mom is Italian, so he qualifies.

We may as well throw Jon Bon Jovi in the mix, too. He picks up the guitar from time to time. Original last name was "Bongiovi", I believe.

Italian-American is different from Italian (as a previous poster asked). Italians are citizens of Italy, and generally live there and speak some dialect of Italian fluently. I'm an Italian-American: an American citizen of Italian descent, I do not live in Italy nor have I ever, and I do not speak the Italian language very well. So, there is a big difference between being "Italian" and "Italian-American". Both terms are politically correct, btw.

• Members

Originally posted by GibsonQC

Italian-American is different from Italian (as a previous poster asked). Italians are citizens of Italy, and generally live there and speak some dialect of Italian fluently....

If you want to draw out that distinction, then we're going to have to cross 95% of the guys here off the list.

Personally, when I refer to someone as italian, with respect to country of origin, the '-american' qualifier is assumed. I don't regularly interact with people that aren't american, so it's very simply to go 'he's italian' or 'he's italian and irish' etc...

• Members

Originally posted by RoboCop00

I just realized there are quite a few very talented Italian-American guitarists. Now that I think about it, a lot of them are in the 'shred' category.

Steve Vai

John Frusciante

John Petrucci

Michael Romeo

Joe Satriani

Al Pitrelli

Michael Angelo Batio

Al Di Meola

Chris Impellitteri

We Swedes own their asses. :mad:

Yngwie Malmsteen, Fredrik Nordstr

Archived