So, at Open Mic tonight.....

Wulver

• Members

....I played an original '57 Strat. I feel as though I've touched God.

Had the guy it belonged to tell me about it, he apparently even traded for it back in the 80s, his Gibson SG Les Paul for the Strat. The body is '57, the neck was also '57 but not original to the body, the original neck being apparently badly warped and had to be replaced. Cool that he tracked down another '57 neck for it though.

Some sort of blue finish, had sustained some heavy wear, worn back down to the primer in many places and down all the way to the sunburst underneath in spots. Original single-layer pickguard, three-way switch, pickups wound over 50 years ago.....

I played better tonight than I usually do, I'll say that much. It honestly didn't FEEL or sound too different from any other Strat, but it was a VERY good Strat, and it played like a good Strat. Which was enough for me. Had a very enjoyable time with it.

....that's all, I guess.

• Members
it was the mojo
:lol:
seriously, its like placebo. if it works for ya, it works for ya.

Honestly, more than anything it was just a good Strat, you don't think about how old it is when you play it. Neck was really worn in nice, and had a good sound. Maybe shows more than anything that a good Strat is a good Strat is a good Strat.

Had some pain trying to get the in-between sounds with that 3-way switch though. :poke:

• Members

Rare is the person that hands a guy a $10,000 relic to play on stage, and the guy that get's to play it...

I know of this type of thing in other industries, and I suspect your a 'player' and he wanted to see someone that knew how to play, see if that guitar actually produced...

• Members

Rare is the person that hands a guy a $10,000 relic to play on stage, and the guy that get's to play it...

I know of this type of thing in other industries, and I suspect your a 'player' and he wanted to see someone that knew how to play, see if that guitar actually produced...

Don't really think that was the situation. The guy knew his way around the instrument, though he was more a bassist than a guitarist from what I saw of him playing bass last night....he was just a nice guy, far as I can tell.

I greatly appreciate him letting me use it.

Archived