New Yamaha SG Day! Oh Yeah!

KightTemplar

• Members

Yeah it's weird I know. Didn't you sell yours?

And what mod did you do in there? I see a coil tap switch.......and what were the pick ups?

Yup...i sold it awhile back. I have an sbg2000 now and it just wasn't getting played. I'm not sure what pups were in it......whoever had it before me added the coil split and changed the pups. Loved that guitar though......found it in a pawn shop when I was just getting back into guitar after an extended break.

• Members

1985 then. I doubt the Taiwan factory was open in 1975.

You are right. It wasn't.

Besides, I know that the SG200s were MIJ when it came out in the mid-late 70s, but the later ones, maybe from 1982-83 on, were MIT. So that makes perfect sense.

Now, I wonder what kind of wood was used to build the 200s? According to the forum here and the reviews, the MIJ ones' body wood was mahogany, while MIT ones was agathis. Unfortunately there's no official info from Yamaha. Can you guys school me? :confused::wave:

• Members

I've always like those Yamaha models. I wonder if it's possible that the guitar was made for an for/by an employee and he requested it without the brand-name (hey, it's a story you can use if you ever sell it).

It's obviously real. I'd actually pay more for it the way it is, but re-sale value might take a hit.

• Members

I've always like those Yamaha models. I wonder if it's possible that the guitar was made for an for/by an employee and he requested it without the brand-name (hey, it's a story you can use if you ever sell it).

It's obviously real. I'd actually pay more for it the way it is, but re-sale value might take a hit.

Hahaha, that's a funny hypothesis, but hey why not? After all, I was told that the Taiwan factory was not allowed to sell the instruments to the local music shops, so I suspect that someone whose relative of Taiwan factory's staff made a private request, or a staff built the guitar for him/herself. This sorta thing ALWAYS happens here in Taiwan.

I would pay more for the extraordinary condition for a 25-year-old guitar, but the resale value will be like {censored} due to the lack of brand name. Luckily, I WON'T sell it.

• Members

You are right. It wasn't.

Besides, I know that the SG200s were MIJ when it came out in the mid-late 70s, but the later ones, maybe from 1982-83 on, were MIT. So that makes perfect sense.

Now, I wonder what kind of wood was used to build the 200s? According to the forum here and the reviews, the MIJ ones' body wood was mahogany, while MIT ones was agathis. Unfortunately there's no official info from Yamaha. Can you guys school me?
:confused::wave:

yeah....my 200 said made in japan on the back of the headstock and i think it was a 1980 model. i've always heard these were agathis.

• Members

I have one (200) from around same time period, it should be set mahogany neck with laminate nato body.

Mine has a circuit board [pcb] in the control cavity, instead of traditional wiring. I know it's 3-pc body 'cause I have the sunburst model. I actually had found an up to date site with the specifics on all models, but I can't seem to find it/ didn't bookmark dammit. Should be '85 ish.

HNGD

• Members

Maybe more plausible than my, "request by an employee" scenario is a Yamaha company-policy that instruments sold to employees not be branded, so as to discourage re-selling.

In any case, enjoy it for may years to come!

And speaking of policy, the owner of the shop where I got my SG told me that Yamaha imposed a policy over Taiwan's factory that all the instruments must ship to Japan before hit the stores worldwide, including Taiwan. That means the local shops (including Yamaha dealers) cannot purchase directly from factory. I guess that's the reason they did not put Yamaha on the headstock, in order to elude that policy. But I highly doubt that they sold directly to a store as new, because who wants to carry a major brand name instrument without a proper brand? Would you want to sell a Gibson LP without "Gibson" written on the headstock? :cop: So my assumption is that they sold to a musician instead.

Either way, it is a great instrument. PLus, it is pretty light! :thu:

• Members

Not to beat a dead-horse, but I just stumbled upon this explanation of an un-branded guitar, and I thought it was worth sharing:

Check-out post #28:

I'm not saying that it necessarily applies to your Yamaha, but it seemed relevant.

Interesting. The only thing I would say against that is that Cort makes a ton of instruments for other manufacturers where as I'm pretty sure Yamaha plants are Yamaha only.

Archived