which guitar for beginner

jrnoel

• Members

I am just beginning to play. I purchased a Washburn WI14 starter pack with guitar and amp. I like the guitar, but 2 of the strings are rattling from hitting the frets and it had a couple scratches on it. I like the guitar, but still have time to return it, which I think I am.

My question is, on a $200-$250 budget for guitar and 15watt amp, would u stay with the WI14, return it and get a new one of course, or get something else. I already have my cables and a Zoom G1n pedal, so I am just looking for a good Guitar and 15watt practice amp to learn on. The WI14 is the only guitar I have played, so I dont know the difference from any others.

There are several different starter packs in this price range, but I could also get better quality used guitar and amp that may be a better investment.

I think I am leaning to getting a used or new guitar for around $200 and getting around a $50 amp. I think I would get better value that way then getting another starter pack.

One guitar I am looking at is a used Ibanez RG321 for $200 at my local shop. Any thoughts on this guitar or any other suggestions.

I like mostly rock, but like to try and everything. The amp is not that important right now because I cant play loud often because of kids in the house and the zoom pedal makes a crappy amp sound better.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

• Members

My suggestion to all new players is usually the same...........

1) You can always get a better deal buying used gear.

2) It doesn't matter about the quality of your first guitar, as long as it is something that you like. If it's something that you can look at and it motivates you to play then that's the guitar for you (for now)

Archived