Nice Jackson I paid 125, help identify it

MrCompton

• Members

It's an old SLSMG model with with passive EMGs (CHANGE IMMEDIATELY) in what appears to be an amber sunburst finish.

They are fine for now. This isn't going to be my regular playing guitar, it's just for trying out other tunings for songs. If and when extra cash comes, there will be EMG81 and 85 put in most likely.

• Members

This neck is a bolt on. It says neck through on the site.

OH SHIT!

My friend has one of those, almost exactly like that. Dinky/Soloist body with that same headstock and a bolt-on neck as opposed to a neck-thru. I'll ask tomorrow about it.

Neither of us has been able to figure it out yet.

• Members

It a Jackson DXMGT, I used to have one just like it. Great guitar, and the EMG pickups are fine, don't let someone talk you into replacing them unless you yourself don't like them. They are the same thing as an 85, just passive, not active, and there are made in the USA right along side the other EMGs and I personally thing they sound fine, and I have many other guitars with active EMGs as well.

Jackson_DXMGT_01.jpg

• Members

They don't have much of a crunchy sound for being EMGs in a supposedly Metal Guitar.

I'll take HZs over Duncan Designs, V7s / V8s, or any other mid-range guitar pickup. They're not EMG actives, but they definitely hold their own and get the job done. Of course I'd take a Seymour Duncan JB over an a HZ (I'm not fond of actives). But if you're buying a Jackson with a JB (or EMG actives) in it, expect to pay 30% more for the axe.

Like I said, compare those HZs to Duncan Designs and V7/V8 (notably in Ibanez RG series) and you'll be blown away by the difference.

• Members

I'll take HZs over Duncan Designs, V7s / V8s, or any other mid-range guitar pickup. They're not EMG actives, but they definitely hold their own and get the job done. Of course I'd take a Seymour Duncan JB over an a HZ (I'm not fond of actives). But if you're buying a Jackson with a JB (or EMG actives) in it, expect to pay 30% more for the axe.

Like I said, compare those HZs to Duncan Designs and V7/V8 (notably in Ibanez RG series) and you'll be blown away by the difference.

I'd have to disagree. Both my older Jackson with Duncan Designed, and an Ibanez with V7s sounded WAY BETTER. I'm not a fan of the HZ or EMGs or covered pickups in general honestly.