The Last Waltz (with less cocaine backstage)

chrispscott

• Members

The Lexington, KY based band Tula (www.myspace.com/tulatheband) does a tribute to the Band's Last Waltz that features musicians from the Kentucky and Nashville music scenes. Being a huge fan of The Band and wanting to get more concert photo experience under my belt I took quite a few photos. I've only taken photos at 2 other concerts so this is still a learning experience for me.

It really made me wish I had a faster lens. I used my Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3OS which worked out well byt there were quite a few shots that I wish I had a shallower depth of field on.

At one point there was over a dozen people on stage so I just said {censored} trying to shoot too many group shots. I was not happy with my composition so I mainly tried to shoot portraits which is my strong point.

(clicking the photos will link to the set on flickr)

4337410867_0fc311be66.jpg

4338149964_edf20c862f.jpg

I'll probably go into Photoshop and make the DOF artificially shallower on this one when I have more time

4337541827_5c25c1595a.jpg

4338203218_e344ae5d7e.jpg

4337536497_0558631ca7.jpg

4337513797_b18ea9fdea.jpg

4337501283_1e72e15739.jpg

4338266442_29bdde51d4.jpg

They put on one hell of a show. Probably one of the best shows I've ever seen at that venue. I particularly like the fact that they did songs that were not on the record or film but that were played at the concert (Caldonia, Four Strong Wings, King Harvest.) They did a killer Tura Lura Lura. The Caravan might have been even better than the actual Last Waltz version. The singer on Caravan, John Mann, might have outvanned Van the Man.

I'm coming to find out that I really like shooting concerts. Being a musician I think I'm pretty good at finding little things and I know what kind of photos I would like to have taken of me. This show also worked out very well because it's a venue I have played a lot, I know the songs better than some of my own which means I knew who was about to take a solo etc. After the show and conversing with one of the band members I was actually offered a part-time gig with them as a bassist. I'm a guitarist who can play bass but nowhere near as good as the guy who is departing so I had to pass. Hopefully I'll be able to guest on their next go round with the Last Waltz or something.

Considering the fact I am still very new at this feedback which would be much appreciated.

• Members

Nice shots. Esp #1, 3 and 6. :thu:

I've never taken my good camera to a concert. But I do have a reasonably fast backup camera... a Panasonic FZ3 that is fixed at 2.8 throughout the range. Only 3MP though. Still, I've got some very decent shots with it.

• Members

Nice shots. Esp #1, 3 and 6.
:thu:

I've never taken my good camera to a concert. But I do have a reasonably fast backup camera... a Panasonic FZ3 that is fixed at 2.8 throughout the range. Only 3MP though. Still, I've got some very decent shots with it.

3MP is not too bad if you are not going to blow it up real huge. f/2.8 is definitely not bad for a point and shoot.

Archived