Tone Terms: Bright, Warm, Dark ...

Meowy

• Members

Something ive always wondered. What in the world do people mean when they refer to a "dry" or "wet" distortion? Thats the only one I've never been able to figure out whatsoever. warm is slightly confusing to me also but I think I have an idea about that one. Is it basically just pleasant to the ear? Wouldn't mind if somebody was so inclined to clear those up for me.
:lol:

When I think dry vs. wet sounds I think it's has to do with reverb or delay. A very wet sound would have lots of delay and verb, like say Eric Johnson. Or the idea of a wet/dry rig.

• Members

Something ive always wondered. What in the world do people mean when they refer to a "dry" or "wet" distortion? Thats the only one I've never been able to figure out whatsoever. warm is slightly confusing to me also but I think I have an idea about that one. Is it basically just pleasant to the ear? Wouldn't mind if somebody was so inclined to clear those up for me.
:lol:

warm and wet? i think that's a different forum. :cop:

• Members

Definitions definitely change from one person to the next. For instance, a lot of people get excited about the Tele bridge pickup because it's "bright" and "spanky". To me it sounds brittle and harsh.
Think about the solo bits in Sympathy for the Devil.
It's just ear-splitting in my opinion, but some people love it.

Cut with a Les Paul Custom. Go figure.

Archived