Playability of Mustang versus CP Jaguar Special HH

Armchair Bronco

• Members

Can someone compare the playability of the Mustang (like the '65 Reissue) to the CP Jaguar Special HH?

I have the Jag. It has a 9.5" radius and a width of 42mm at the nut.

The '65 Stang has a 7.25" radius and is 41.3mm at the nut.

I really like the playability of my modern Jaguar, but I have small hands and am mostly a rhythm playing blues chorder, not a shredder/soloist. The rounder fretboard profile is supposed to be better for chording, right? My other nice guitar is an SG Classic. Love the tone and the looks of the SG, but I *HATE* the neck.

• Members

The Jaguar feels less like a toy. The Mustang's a bit diddy.

The Jaguar also sounds better in my opinion! SGs are my least favourite guitars.

I did play a Mustang a few years ago very briefly, and it did seem almost like a toy guitar. The body seemed too small and too lightweight. But I didn't really get a chance to bond with the fretboard. If the fretboard feels right, I can forgive just about anything else.

• Members

I'm a big guy at 6'3", and I really don't understand the 'toy' sentiment toward Mustangs. They're small and light, which makes them a blast to toss around, and a 65RI would still have my preferred floater bridge as opposed to the adjustomatic stuff on the Classic Player series.

Regarding radius, I've never really had a preference. I've played chords on an RG550 and lead runs on a Mustang - they're all just guitars to me.

• Members

I'm a big guy at 6'3", and I really don't understand the 'toy' sentiment toward Mustangs. They're small and light, which makes them a blast to toss around, and a 65RI would still have my preferred floater bridge as opposed to the adjustomatic stuff on the Classic Player series.

Regarding radius, I've never really had a preference. I've played chords on an RG550 and lead runs on a Mustang - they're all just guitars to me.

Isn't the Mustang's body bigger than a Tele's?

Archived