Preferred String Gauge on Fender Scale (Strat/Tele) Guitars

ColoradoFenderB

• Members

After years of experimenting (9s to 12s) I finally settled on 10-56 (regular top, heavy bottom) on all my guitars.

Unfortunately I've just discovered that my new Yammie Strat's Sperzel locking tuners won't take anything bigger than a 52, so I'm stuck at regular 10s on that one.

• Members

I have always used 9s on my Fenders and 10s on Gibsons. Thinking about trying 10s on my Tele. Good move or not? Discuss.

I think the opposite way around makes a bit more sense. 10s to get the thicker tone out of SC p'ups and HBs don't really need it. But I tend to use 10-46 on most all of my guitars.

9s on some of the tremolo guitars with HBs (like shred guitars) maybe 11s on a Fender or two if I want da phat, especially if they're short scale, and then most of the rest get 10s (to 46).

Except I do like to use heavy bottom light top on my 335, but that's still a 10 at the top.

But there's always all this talk here about gauge -

Nobody ever wants to talk about materials.

You got your pure nickel wrap, your nickel plated, and your stainless steel. You really can't talk about tone and gauge without including a discussion on the materials - not to mention round wound, roller wound or flat wound options.

• Members

To me, these make every guitar sound better:

B0002CZUB0.01-A3QI5PL377NJ1M._SCLZZZZZZZ

This is my experience as well. I started using them on my Epi ES-295 and was using 10-46 on everything else. I put the 11s on an old peavey t-60 I had that I didn't like and it made it one of my favorites. Slowly, I have just migrated to all 11-48 except my 62 RI strat. That guitar has had a hard life and I paid alot of money for a set up a while back with 10s. Once that setup starts to go, I'll throw 11s on there. The trem stays in tune really well now and I don't want to screw it up.

I thought 11s would be tough to get used to, but the sound blew me away.

Archived