ooohh ...now we're gettin somewhere for daws !

Bookumdano2

• Members

My company has been using touch screens with their equipment for at least 12 years. They tend to be glitchey, hesitant, and inaccurate for all but simple things. Typing in charectures off a virtual keyboard, things like that are a pain in the ass. I'm always afraid of damaging the screen too. When they get old they get worn spots in areas of common use that start looking ragged out visually. Then when the contact screen shorts watch out. The repair cost is about the same as buying one new.

• Members

Call me "old" but I prefer to grab real faders and knobs for hard-work at my studio. The less I'd like to have is a too-damned-delicate flat surface underneath my hands, where I have to
see
where to touch to "grab" a fader. Would it look cool? No doubts, but at this moment I don't see it quite appealing.

... As a
performance
tool, for live shows, the story is completely different. I'd love to have stuff like that.

Apple and other companies have a lot of patent work in the pipeline which involves tactile feedback behind touch sensitive screens.

• Members

My company has been using touch screens with their equipment for at least 12 years. They tend to be glitchey, hesitant, and inaccurate for all but simple things. Typing in charectures off a virtual keyboard, things like that are a pain in the ass. I'm always afraid of damaging the screen too. When they get old they get worn spots in areas of common use that start looking ragged out visually. Then when the contact screen shorts watch out. The repair cost is about the same as buying one new.

Absolutely true in the past. Slow response. And also, you could only use one or two fingers at a time. That's why the new 3M is so cool. And glass ... no worn spots. I also see a very interesting development on a screen patent that goes further and adds areas that raise and lower on the display itself for tactile feel. Obviously not glass but this puts future roadmaps at even a more interesting thing to watch for.

oops... missed the comment on this above.

Archived