What's the difference between these 2 Les Pauls? (seriously)

Symmetry2170

• Members

Both are R6 models. Both have p90's. Both are gold tops. But why is one ~$300 more expensive than the other. An R6 is going to be my next electric guitar, and I'm trying to do all my research now seeing as how it's going to take me a while to save up that much keesh. I played one over the weekend in Lexington at Willcutt and I feel like that guitar was made for me. It was an odd but good experience. It honestly hurt not to be able to bring it home with me, I really feel a connection to it. So, tell me, what's up with these 2 guitars?

$3,699

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-Shop-1956-Les-Paul-Goldtop-VOS-Electric-Guitar?sku=517977

$3,999

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-Shop-1956-Les-Paul-Goldtop-Reissue-Electric-Guitar?sku=517259

• Members

About $300?

Same specs, one's listed as VOS (even though that is the cheaper one). Both come from the custom shop. The non-VOS has an aluminum stopbar specified. The VOS also states that it's the solid non-weight relieved body.

EDIT: Can't believe I missed this part:

Vintage Reissue strings...obviously the secret to the $300 difference. :facepalm:

Seriously though a lot of times these things come down to what lot they were bought from. They do have a different name and different stock number, but chances are they are the same guitar. Hell they both have the long neck tenon.

• Members

About $300?

Same specs, one's listed as VOS (even though that is the cheaper one). Both come from the custom shop. The non-VOS has an aluminum stopbar specified.

Right, those were the only real differences i could discern. I don't see any other reason they are different in price, let alone different guitars.

Archived