How are those Sterling/Music Man AX40's?

the_gunslinger

• Members

Lately I've been looking for a bang for the buck kind of guitar, something I could invest a little money into and have a real nice player. Recently I heard about the Sterling by Music Man AX40. The price looks pretty attractive, but the trem looks questionable. I've also read the reviews here(theres only 2) and it seems like hit and miss with some of these guitars. I've never really liked maple fretboards, but the guitar just looks so damn cool, I could probably get over it. What are your thoughts on this guitar? Is it worth it?

1242682794932_Pic_026.jpg

• Members

The neck and fit and finish are outstanding for an import. The trem and pups are ok and I would upgrade both. I've seen original Floyds for $150 and the most common pickup upgrade for these are Dimarzio Air Norton +Tone Zone. What made sense to me was to buy an EBMM Axis used. They can be had in excellent condition for around $1100. I had one arrive today and will have time to post pics Sunday.

• Members

I was the one who posted the review when they first came out. I ended up selling it because I could only keep one guitar and decided to keep my Ibby S470

I'm pretty sure I'm going to try one again. I really like the looks of the blue one coming out and it has the most comfy neck I have ever played.

ax40tbsmallc.jpg

Archived