Broadcaster bridge pickup

• Members

I have what is called a Broadcaster in my Baja. I have to say, I ended up putting it back in after temporarily putting in a CS Nocaster. I really like it, but I am not sure whether it just has that name for generic reasons.

What do I like about it? Seems a bit darker than some other tele bridge pickups (at least in my Baja) overall. It particularly darkens as you add more gain, so that you can get it into Gibson territory. In some ways, it has a bit of an icepick quality on the E and B, which you have to control (which is strange given that it is a bit darker overall), but it has great great bite in the bass department. It doesn't get messy or fuzzy, or brittle sounding like some tele bridge pickups - really solid and with clarity/definition.

And it has a slight aroma of blackberries, a fine 'nose', and a after-taste of freshly mown grass on a fine Spring morning in Dorset.

• Members

That'd be the STL-1B?

Yep, that's the one. It's fairly bright, with a low output, and instantly took me to those authentic country Tele tones, which are great for a characterful rock sound too. Although it's bright, it has a slightly scooped feel when you dig hard into the strings, and no matter how much treble you dial in on a good valve amp, it never gets painful. I really am a fan, I used to swap pickups in Teles all the time, but for the last eight years I've used nothing else, it even seems to shine through on cheapo ss practice amps.

One last thing though, I've only tried them with alder bodies, but I would think they'd work with ash just as well.

• Members

I have the STL-1B in my Tele partscaster (alder MIA body, Warmoth maple/maple neck, minihum neck) and love it. Why?

Because it is so versatile. It can go from a borderline icepick (I say that as a positive, because it is completely manageable) to singing Page-like filth (I say that in a good way too) to every twangy, jangly point in between. I have nothing negative to say about it.

In fact, I have another in my parts box that will be going into my next (Ash) build that should be complete this spring

Archived