How to test a pickup

danielboles

• Members

How do I test a pickup to see if it is bad, I have not opened the back plate with the pots and switch to see if a wire has come loose or unsoldered, but I have no output from my neck pickup, but when the switch is on bridge or both (3 way switch) it has full output. So if i resolder wires to verify it is not a wiring issue and the pickup has gone "dead" how do I test/fix this?

Also, any hands-on review of the Gibson P94R humbucker sized p90? Would that be cool to have a p90 in the neck and humbucker in the bridge?

• Members

Well, you're not going to be able to test it without taking the back plate off if you've already determined that the jack is wired properly (i.e. you get full output from the bridge pickup).

So you have a few options. . . it could be a bad switch if it's a cheap import switch (you don't say what kind of guitar it is).

It could be a bad solder joint at the volume or tone pot (if you have separate volume and tone for each pickup). That would be the easiest thing to fix really.

If you try the resoldering, etc. and it doesn't work, what you need is a multimeter to measure the resistance between the live and ground wires on the pickup. If that reading comes out okay, you can try wiring the pickup directly to a jack and testing it that way (no need to solder it to the jack, just clip the wires to the jack, plug it in, tap the pickup with a screwdriver and see if you get sound.

• Members

details don't matter, to test the pickup it needs to be disconnected from the volume pot, then using the multimeter set to about 20K Ohm range, put the black probe on the ground and the red probe on the hot, this will tell you it's DC resistance in Ohms.

If your pickup is good, then check your pots, they do go bad or get damaged/dirty sometimes.

Archived