Should I buy a used Rickenbacker 360/12 in fireglo?

rog951

• Members

I've always wanted one but I've heard they're a nightmare to re-string and are also kinda tough to play. My hands aren't huge and I tend to like skinny and narrow necks. How much should I expect to pay for a recent one ('90s or newer) in decent shape?

• Members

They are only a nightmare for people who don't want to learn how to do it properly. After that, it's just a bit more time consuming. As is any 12 string, though.

The narrow neck takes a bit to get used to, but it's fine.

You could maybe snag one for as low as $1500 and as high as $2000 on eBay or something.

• Members

Thanks guys...should've known better than ask this question on here! :lol: So, what about the Ric setup makes it any more time-consuming than a regular 12-string change? Is it just tough to thread the strings through up at the headstock? I can see the workings up there look a little "comlpicated."

• Members

I'm not the biggest fan of the "R" tailpiece. Find a way to secure the end of the string in there. Piece of foam or something. After that, it's the slots in the head stock that are a bit of a pain. They made it a lot easier when they cut the slot out completely, instead of just the front.

Vintage style (closed):

EX0940h.jpg

Modern (open):

Headstock.jpg

• Members

I'm not the biggest fan of the "R" tailpiece. Find a way to secure the end of the string in there. Piece of foam or something. After that, it's the slots in the head stock that are a bit of a pain. They made it a lot easier when they cut the slot out completely, instead of just the front.

Vintage style (closed):

EX0940h.jpg

Modern (open):

Headstock.jpg

Hmmm, when did the changeover occur I wonder? I'm assuming they've been making them the modern way for quite some time? Still, neither setup exactly beckons you to change strings! ;)

• Members

You just have to know what to expect. And that maybe you will have to make a couple mods if it gets to frustrating to play. I have a Maple-glo 360-12 - beautifu looking and sounding. When I got it I had to learn how to play it a little differently - chord fingerings, being more precise when picking. Some can be hard to keep in tune and in keeping the intonation stable. The first thing I did with mine was send it off to a luthier that specialized in making mods to Rics. He put a 12-saddle bridge on so that the strings can be intonated separately. He then cut a new nut and spaced the strings out a bit - made playing it a bit easier. The 360-12 comes with high gain pickups, but sound better (IMO) with toasters, so I got those. When everything is right they sound like that 60's jangly dream you've heard so often.

When all was said and done, even though mine plays and sounds great, it is still a bit frustrating. I overcame the frustration by going out and buying a 660-12 that came stock with a thinner neck, toasters, 12 saddle bridge. I'm in heaven with the 660 and my 360-12 is now for sale, but not because I don't like it, just cause I can't justify it not getting played as much anymore.

• Members

I don't say this to start trouble, but maybe you could try a Danelectro 12 string. I'm biased, because I have one for sale, but the point is that Danos are much cheaper than Rics, and they have a real nice, comfortable neck - not too wide, not too thin. I've played Rics and I actually prefer the Dano playability. It's not the exact same sound as a Ric, but it's pretty darn close. The reason I mention it is because I don't play my Dano 12 much (that's why I've been thinking of selling it), but I don't have a lot of money tied up in it either. It's a good way to see if you like 12 strings, and you can still buy a Ric later if you want. Just my $.02.

• Members

I don't say this to start trouble, but maybe you could try a Danelectro 12 string. I'm biased, because I have one for sale, but the point is that Danos are much cheaper than Rics, and they have a real nice, comfortable neck - not too wide, not too thin. I've played Rics and I actually prefer the Dano playability. It's not the exact same sound as a Ric, but it's pretty darn close. The reason I mention it is because I don't play my Dano 12 much (that's why I've been thinking of selling it), but I don't have a lot of money tied up in it either. It's a good way to see if you like 12 strings, and you can still buy a Ric later if you want. Just my $.02.

Trouble maker!!!!

Actually I hear very good things about the Dano 12's. Don't get the wrong impression.. In the end, it's a Dano, not a Ric. I haven't played one myself. But I hear they are good bang-for-buck guits.

Archived