Why does Victor Litz post individual "for sale" ads on CL???

rog951

• Members

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/msg/1645502780.html

I've seen them post these Craigslist ads hundreds of times, pretending to be individuals selling gear. Most musician's in this area recognize the phone number, and the pic is obviously right in front of their store. I'm sure it'll get flagged and be removed soon but why do they risk their reputation like this? :confused:

• Members

Have you met any of their sales team? They were always alittle shady, even before Veneman's moved and became GC.

Yeah, I've been in there a lot over the years, but I was still a little surprised to see them stooping this low.

• Members

I think the lesser of all the evils(Victor,GC,Chuck Levins/Washington Music, and even Bill's Music), still might be Chuckie's. I remember them being the only one that didn't charge you extra for he case that the guitar came with from the factory.

Yeah, Chuck's is still the cream of the crop in the area for sure. But it's a {censored}ty crop! ;) Actually, I think I might prefer Atomic Music to Chuck's these days, but that's like comparing apples & oranges. It's a shame, I used to LOVE digging around at Litz back before they moved.

• Members

Yeah, I forgot about Atomic. But they still aren't in that little house of a business are they? They didn't seem like they had that much of a selection, but that was when I went there in the early 90's. ;0p Yeah, I used to dig around and bought a few pieces of gear. I went to Chuckie's a month ago, and saw a few salesmen that have been there since I've been playing guitar....that's 20yrs! I'll have to see bout Atomic though, cause all we have that's decent round here is Hot Licks in Waldork(not typo). There pretty decent staff, but can be alittle "dickey" if they don't know you. It sucks cause I go in there, and EVERYONE knows me like Norm from Cheers. I could not go for 3-4 months, and they'd still recognize me. I don't know what I did, but it sucks trying to get a deal out of people who kinda know me. Yeah, I 'll be looking into Atomic.

• Members

There are retailers here that do that, too. They usually end up getting flagged. I don't think anyone's reputation is hinged too tightly by how they're viewed on craigslist.

As much as you complain, I grew up on the other side of the Potomac, and we always drove over to your side for the cool stores.

• Members

Oh yeah, the stores are cool, but I feel they've all gone down hill over the years. It seems like evey music store is like that no matter where you(figuratively) go. They still stock the exotics that go for a few grand, and then there's the "other" lines(i.e. Daisy Rock, cheap Ibby's & B.C.Rich's, etc.) that are $50-$400.

• Members

Does Tony Litz still work there? I remember dealing with him through phone sales / mail order stuff in the late 80's early 90's. He was pretty cool to deal with but the other staff always seemed like tools in comparison and this is speaking about the staff back then 20+ years ago.

• Members

Does Tony Litz still work there? I remember dealing with him through phone sales / mail order stuff in the late 80's early 90's. He was pretty cool to deal with but the other staff always seemed like tools in comparison and this is speaking about the staff back then 20+ years ago.

Tony's still there occasionally. Not as much as he used to be though.

• Members

I talked with him a few weeks ago when I was searching for my Epi 54 Oxblood. He thought he could get one but never called me back to confirm so he lost the sale to Richmond Music closer to my home..:o Seemed like an ok guy though...:freak:

• Members

A number of years ago I bought a Fernandes Strat-style guitar with Sustainer from Victor Litz by mail order. It was sold it was a brand new guitar, but when it arrived, it was obvious that it had seen plenty of action on the showroom floor. It had a few dings and a tiny chip and was totally covered with fingerprints and smudges. It was a good deal price wise, so I kept it, but you would think that someone could have at least taken 20 seconds to wipe it down with a cloth before shipping it.

• Members

Tony's still there occasionally. Not as much as he used to be though.

Does Tony still answer the phones via mail order or just their retail store? Does he own the place by now? Anyone have a picture of him since I have no idea what he looks like after all these years. He is like a legend to me since he preceded the internet and he single handledly was responsible for my GAS disorder today.

Archived