NPD (aka getting there slowly!)

k4df4l

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

did a bit of wet sanding the initial color last night and I'll be throwing down the last color passes tonight. Clear coats to follow this weekend.

I had a spare bathroom fan laying around so I converted that into an exhaust fan for my booth and ducted it to an outside window with out spending a dime :)

th_ventfan.jpg

• Members

Finished up the color coats. Took a little longer than I expected due to a slight mishap and body wound up with a nick...drop filled the dent with superglue and resprayed the area. Clear coats going down this week and then it's on to the neck for dye tinting & tru-oil.

• Members

Looks freakin' cool! I like your makeshift spray-booth idea too. I'll keep that in mind when the time comes for my project.

This looks kickass. Can't wait to see the finished product :rawk:

• Members

Thanks! The spray booth worked out great and my total investment was 8 bucks for the plastic sheeting. I used spare lengths of baseboard molding to frame it and and hung it form the rafters in the basement.

I'm getting antsy to get this done and assembled!

• Members

Basic wetsanding of the finish is done! Hit the body with some micromesh and it's looking fantastic....I'll do another inspection in the daylight and then see if there are any areas that require more attention before polishing.

The pics don't do it justice as it's really glass flat and glossy

wetsand2.jpg

wetsand1.jpg

• Members

Finished wet sanding and hit the whole body with some Megs ScratchX for a super glossy factory fresh appearance. I buffed the neck out to a really nice looking glossy finish but found that much preferred the feel when it was satiny so I knocked the gloss back with some steel wool.

Tonight I'll start the assembly and should have this thing wrapped up and playing by this weekend :)

• Members

wow, how did i miss this thread :mad:

nice work on the booth and exhaust... i got spare exhaust fan laying around, thanks for the idea :idea:

btw, you mentioned early in the thread about some UV inhibitator. what did you use?

and what clear did you spray to keep that ARCTIC WHITE color ? :love:

• Members
How about a couple money shots? This is some reflectivity after compounding...no wax or any last step prep.

moneyshot.jpg

moneyshot2.jpg

That's the way to do it! Really outstanding job. IMO, there are two colors that are very difficult to get a finish like that on and those are white and black.

Very nice work.
:thu:

• Members

Man, that looks killer. For the past few days I've actually been looking at Warmoth with the intention of building a white Strat, so your pics are inspiring me. What brand of finish and clear coat did you use? And what are you spraying with?

• Members

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Man, that looks killer. For the past few days I've actually been looking at Warmoth with the intention of building a white Strat, so your pics are inspiring me. What brand of finish and clear coat did you use? And what are you spraying with?

Duplicolor T174 Wite/Blue White CC, which is GM Olympic White

Duplicolor DAL1695 Clear Acrylic Lacquer

...straight from the rattle cans. If you decide to spray either acrylic or nitrocellulose lacquers, keep in mind they stink like a SOB, need plenty of ventilation and over-spray can get everywhere if you don't take some precautions.

Archived