New Machine Screw Neck Mounting Inserts on Yngwie strat

RockNote

• Members

those inserts look like a great idea. The one in the link though, doesn't appear to have countersunk screw heads though. Wouldn't that suck to not have the screws in flush to the neckplate, but instead have them 4 screws poking out?

• Members

Not a new idea at all.....not even for Fender ;-).

I have a Rockler nearby and buy their #8-32 steel inserts for $4(8pk). http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=362&filter=inserts

I then use stainless steel machine screws from a local Ace hardware. Total cost per guitar is under $5......that guy selling kits for $20 with Zinc screws is highway robbery.

The main advantage to this is you can tighten the living hell out of the screws with zero fear of stripping out the neck holes. You can also remove the neck an infinite amount of times with no worry. There's no doubt this is a technically better way to attach the neck.....does it make any difference to sustain is HIGHLY subjective (I can't tell one iota).

They can be added to just about any bolt-on neck guitar. The only time you can't is if the screw holes are really close to the edges of the neck....only seen this on some cheapo guitar. All you do is enlarge the current neck holes on a drill press and then insert the threaded inserts. This is where STEEL inserts are paramount over brass as you don't what to try and tap new treads in rock maple with a soft brass insert. It's actually best if you own a tap/die set....dirt cheap from harborfreight.

FWIW, the biggest mistake I see with many 'screw' on neck guitars is that the screws thread through the body. The wood screws should simply pass through the body and ONLY thread into the neck. If not, its impossible for the screws to pull the neck tight to the body.

• Members

FWIW, the biggest mistake I see with many 'screw' on neck guitars is that the screws thread through the body. The wood screws should simply pass through the body and ONLY thread into the neck. If not, its impossible for the screws to pull the neck tight to the body.

Truth.

One of the first things I do when I get a bolt on guitar is to remove the neck and slightly enlarge the body's neck holes.

Archived