Fender "Thin Skin" nitro finish

CrazyRocketGuy

• Members

Just like the relic thang. Some people would like to have a guitar that looks like they played the phuck out of it rather than actually playing the phuck out of it. Posers & wannabes. You play a poly guitar enough it will end up looking worn.

Good lord, between that and your sig, it would appear you have a certain affinity for casting judgment upon things you don't agree with.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been sitting here talking {censored} about American Specials and Highway Ones, and then I played one today (American Special HSS), and {censored}ing loved it, and bought it.

Goes to show you're never too young to develop dementia :facepalm: I made a HNGD thread with pics.

• Members

Due to EPA laws, I believe all Fender (incl. Custom shops) using Nitro are shipped to Mexico, painted then sent back to the US to complete work on the guitar.

Poly can be done in the US.

California (where Fenders US production is based) has especially strict legislation with respect to the use and storage of nitrocellulose lacquer. It's not a US-wide restriction or Gibson would be shipping a slew of instruments out of the country for finishing.

• Members
its easy to say poly wears but I never see people posting pics to prove it. funny. where are all these well worn poly guitars? or are you just poseurs pretending to have them?

+1
I refinished my Strat with acrylic enamel. No filler, no sealer, and no transparent gloss coat. A total of 25-27 coats, with sanding in between resulted in a truly paper thin finish that you would think would wear quickly.... uh no. After more than a year of playing, a quick wipe down makes it look as shinny as the day I polished it. :facepalm:

I think a well cared for poly finish guitar can look as good fifty years from now as the day it was bought. However, I have read true horror stories about how some guys treat their guitars here. Posts of it falling from the stand... again, getting all kinds of chips... again, bouncing from the floor... again, hitting furniture... again... jeez. Sounds like a bunch of prepubes standing in friend of the mirror and trying to practice twirls or the too "kwell" to be bothered to give the guitar a wipe down . What's with that? Get a good case, a good stand and use them. You'd think that as much as we love guitars, we'd take better care of them!

Archived