Whats does sweat do to the guitar body and how to solve it?

porterrex

• Members

Just stumbled over a 31 year old Fender stratocaster that looks great except that the body has some strange "lighter" colored areas. when I hold the guitar its on the top where you put it against your body. Down on the front where it might be dripping from the guitarist when playing hard and long on stage ..

I dont know, its my wild guess so I

• Members

It can be buffed out but that defeats the purpose of owning older guitars, it's not considered damage but patina and character. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Amateur restoring of old guitars usually ruins the value of them.

• Members

Just joking before. I would seriously suggest leaving it as it is if you have any inteniton of ever selling it -the mojo will increase the value and any work you do on it (even polishing it too much) will negatively affect the value.

That said, if you don't ever plan on selling it, do whatever you want to it. I'd start with a non-abrasive guitar polish (bunch of compnaies make them) and go from there till you're happy wiht the results.

• Members

In a way I understand its like "Can you help me out . My old Brazilian Rosewood Martin has now a totally diferent tone compared with new ones. Any ideas.."

I have 34 guitars now and I try to pass a nice guitar without taking it home with me. This one is a real player and in the case there where some case candy as well. So it has both been played/loved and kept the instruction manual, inspectionpaper ....

I think its silly with relics. Either its a worn guitar or not. This one has still all the color but this different shades in areas but I now understand its patina.

Its rock away Honky Tonk Women as if its a small Keith Richard inside the pick ups .. everything original.

vcnyls - I did get your joke (and thought it was funny)

So, thanks guys - don

Archived