Leo's best inventions on one guitar.

eurotrashed

• Members

Yes, in the earliest days of Music Man (actually Tri-Sonics, Inc. before they changed it to MM) Leo Fender helped Tom Walker on circuit designs. But shortly thereafter CLF Research was just making the guitars for MM.

Actually, there were serious truss rod problems with many of the earliest MM guitars. This was part of the famous battle between CLF and MM that led to the formation of G&L guitars.

The conflict that resulted in the formation of G&L was one of the better things to happen to guitars:)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think soundwise and practicality G&L have the upper hand, but I do think the traditional Fender designs look better. Hence this guitar.

To give some credit where it is due: the preset tone switching system and the locking trem were ideas that Forrest White came up with (in fact he built the prototype switching system in the early 40s that would later appear, in refined form, in the Jazz/Jag). Leo made them a reality but they were not his concepts.

• Members

Guitar started as a 1999 AVRI Fender Jaguar which I think is the most comfy guitar and coolest looking guitar.

It has the best trem system that Leo made (might add a real vintage unit later)

A Mastery Bridge was added and it gets great overtones from behind the birdge that is one of the nicest quarks.

But now I am fitting it with G&L soapbar MFD pickups. I routed the guitar after this pic was taken, I am just waiting on the pickups now.

I got a custom pickguard made by Pickguardian using the closest thing to vintage tort.

jag001.jpg

Nice guitar, but Leo himself said that the vibrato system on that guitar was one of the worst mistakes that he made.

EDIT: Sorry, meant the Mustang bridge :facepalm:

Regardless, I still like your guitar a lot.

• Members
Guitar started as a 1999 AVRI Fender Jaguar which I think is the most comfy guitar and coolest looking guitar.

It has the best trem system that Leo made (might add a real vintage unit later)

A Mastery Bridge was added and it gets great overtones from behind the birdge that is one of the nicest quarks.

But now I am fitting it with G&L soapbar MFD pickups. I routed the guitar after this pic was taken, I am just waiting on the pickups now.

I got a custom pickguard made by Pickguardian using the closest thing to vintage tort.

jag001.jpg

Your correctness and good tastemanship are undeniable. :thu:

• Members
Nice guitar, but Leo himself said that the vibrato system on that guitar was one of the worst mistakes that he made.

EDIT: Sorry, meant the Mustang bridge
:facepalm:

Regardless, I still like your guitar a lot.

Hmmm... The Mustang bridge is a lot more user friendly than the standard Jag or JM bridge.

I had a Mustang bridge and it was fine but I do enjoy the Mastery Bridges.

Thanks for the input everyone. Maybe I will get the pickups in tomorrow morning. They arrived.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived