GFS tele kit?

Mr_GoodBomb

• Members

Anyone built one? How big of a difference is there between the "high quality" and the "light weight" kits? How bad are the parts? I expect replacing the bridge and the pickups would be wise, but I'd rather not end up with a second guitar's worth of extra parts after replacing everything that sucks too much to use. Do the necks fit the pocket well enough? I purchased a body and neck from them that didn't. Any input?

• Members

I did the light weight one, but I did a maple neck. The rosewood neck that came with the kit was ok. The neck holes were off and the input hole was off center a little. After some work it came together alright. I used the hard ware that came with it, works good. I did upgrade the pickups and electronics.

th_guitarbuild1e.jpg

th_guitarbuild1c.jpg

• Members

IIRC, there was a lengthy build thread on one of the lightweight (Paulownia) tele kits. I don't recall who built it -- I'll bet that Elias Graves would remember, 'cause I think it was one of his posse...

• Members

true but remember you get what you pay:thu:

It's a tele, two planks of wood bolted together with some hardware thrown on top. So, that's what I'm asking... I know what I'm paying, so what am I getting, from those with experience?

Archived